The Great Sorcery Overhaul

• Hi everyone,

let's have a look together to a massive change you should expect once game servers reopen: the Great Sorcery Overhaul.

Your Sorcery and Staff Fighting skills are unchanged. The former is used to determine what spells you can cast, like before. The latter is used to compute your hit and dodge chances when you hold a staff, like before.

The real big change is related to Enlightenment, which used to make most of your spells more powerful (more damage, longer duration, etc). This is skill is now gone, and has been split into 5 different new skills: Abjuration, Alteration, Invocation, Conjuration, Illusionism.

The effectiveness of every Sorcery spell now depends on one of those 5 skills. Thus, we can say that each spell belongs to a different "school". If you want to know more about the schools:

http://wiki.linkrealms.com/view/Sorcery

Now, you might wonder why splitting a skill in 5, given there is a 700 levels skill cap. The reason is Sorcery is receiving a lot of new spells. I mean, really a lot: once the overhaul is done, Sorcery will have over 130 spells, divided into 5 schools. Each of those 5 schools is like a new, more "focused" Sorcery itself! Say goodbye to Spiritualism as a must-have. You will have tons of different ways to build a Sorcerer, and tons of War/Mage hybrid possibilities, since several spells will also be tailored to allow that!

Martial Arts and barehanded spellcasting

Another significant change coming with the Sorcery Overhaul (not yet implemented) is the possibility to cast Sorcery spells barehanded. Once implemented, if you try to cast a spell without holding a staff, the system will look into your inventory for the required essences. If they are found, they will be used to perform the spellcasting.

As complement to this change, a new skill has been introduced: Martial Arts, which determines your hit and your dodge chance while fighting barehanded, and your damage as well.

Why taking Martial Arts?

• Can be trained at zero cost, since you are not consuming staff durability.
    • Some Sorcery spells of the Arcane School of Alteration empower barehanded fighting.
    • It can be used on Warrior characters too as a way of becoming immune from Disarm, as you won’t lose your hit and dodge chances, and allows for the creation of interesting hybrid characters.

Why taking Staff Fighting?

• Skill gains are slightly higher than Martial Arts.
    • Staffs come with modifiers that are very useful for a Mage.
    • Staffs protect your essences from being dropped when you die.

Weapon spellcasting

A new, great modifier is coming. Weapons with this modifier will allow the user to... Cast Sorcery spells! That's right, cast spells while enjoying the damage, hit/def chance and tactics from a weapon. With a price of course. Stay tuned!

A little sad note. As Enlightenment is gone, you will find your spells being very little effective now until you raise the school skills you have chosen for your new template.

Give us your feedback and enjoy Linkrealms!

• You mentioned earlier that only 3/5(I think?) of the schools of magic will be there, and
    alt text
    assuming they've all been implemented could you give specifics on the spells that don't have pages yet?

• FOUNDER: SETTLER

Players who had maximum Enlightenment level can be rewarded with something ?

because we spent a lot of time and money leveling the Enlightenment to level maximum , since while the sorc was 99 the Enlightenment was 90.

Tanks.

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@Sativao its called being in beta. since ive played basically every skill my character has ever had has been redone remove and reworked.

• Linkrealms or ultima online? LOL

Im loving this!!!!! looks awsome! cant wait to log in!
    is there any examples of templates? like a sorcerer would need all 5 of those skills to be efficient ? 5 skills plus martian arts that`s already 600 plus all the others skills would bust? or should we give up some of the spells?

• @Prometheus said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:

Weapon spellcasting

A new, great modifier is coming. Weapons with this modifier will allow the user to... Cast Sorcery spells! That's right, cast spells while enjoying the damage, hit/def chance and tactics from a weapon. With a price of course. Stay tuned!

Does this include weapons with cast speed bonus? Found few swords with that but haven't tried casting spells.

@Prometheus said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:
    Say goodbye to Spiritualism as a must-have.

Why is Spiritualism a must have for mage right now?

• Thunderbolt is most impressive in look and feel and sound. It has that amazing impact making it a pleasure to use it. Please more spell effect/sounds like that!

• @Namus said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:

Weapon spellcasting

Does this include weapons with cast speed bonus? Found few swords with that but haven't tried casting spells.

Say goodbye to Spiritualism as a must-have.

Why is Spiritualism a must have for mage right now?

Because of crowd control and lack of other secondary magical skills :)

• @Prometheus Currently crystal tuner has only 5 uses compared to all other repair kits from item shop that have 10. Please increase it to 10 uses and i would buy those ;)

• when is this going to be done? Game is unplayable for me as a sorc

• Yeah, it's killing the PvE server. So many people started out the game wanting to play a sorcerer.

• @Namus said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:

@Prometheus Currently crystal tuner has only 5 uses compared to all other repair kits from item shop that have 10. Please increase it to 10 uses and i would buy those ;)

@Prometheus take a look at this

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@DEAD said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:

@Namus said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:

@Prometheus Currently crystal tuner has only 5 uses compared to all other repair kits from item shop that have 10. Please increase it to 10 uses and i would buy those ;)

@Prometheus take a look at this

No crystal tuner has 10 uses. They for some reason just didnt update the item shop thing which says it has 5.

• Traditionally, the reason to go magic in any game is AoE and distance attacks. You can do both those things more effectively with melee and xbow, without any of the drawbacks that casting has.

• @Prometheus and @Pain , do you have any estimated time to when will sorcery be fully implemented with all schools, spells and items? 6 months? 1 year? I would love to know if this have been already discussed between developers

• @DEAD said in The Great Sorcery Overhaul:

@Prometheus and @Pain , do you have any estimated time to when will sorcery be fully implemented with all schools, spells and items? 6 months? 1 year? I would love to know if this have been already discussed between developers

We don't have an exact estimate yet, but by the end of summer we should have 4 schools out of 5 (no Illusionism) with all key spells done.

• @Prometheus BUT I WANT ILLUSIONISM BABE

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.