Sorcery, useless ?

• FOUNDER: DUKE

I was training a mage at the start.. Only to realize by level 30 something was wrong. Im spending money on essence and staves and etc... And yet my dmg is horrific compared to any new player who chose to pick up a sword. At lvl 0 severing i was out damaging my lvl 30 sorcery.. No need for mana, no need for essence, or weak armor... Just a single blade easily doing 3x the dmg i had been. So whats the deal? Is sorcery just a useless skill till a high level? Or is there some kind of trick that im not getting?

Hi @sefer, have you taken a look at our Wiki page on Sorcery? It may offer some useful information on which abilities are best for combat.

Best,
    GM Pain

• FOUNDER: SETTLER

already has a date for the launch of new spells?

• @sefer a true magician requires patience. Its bad until mid-high level. Id advice switching to melee then revert once the full mage update hits.

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

You definitely want a melee skill or spiritualism so you can use burning spirit if you are a mage at the moment. New spells are being implemented.

• @sefer said in Sorcery, useless ?:

I was training a mage at the start.. Only to realize by level 30 something was wrong. Im spending money on essence and staves and etc... And yet my dmg is horrific compared to any new player who chose to pick up a sword. At lvl 0 severing i was out damaging my lvl 30 sorcery.. No need for mana, no need for essence, or weak armor... Just a single blade easily doing 3x the dmg i had been. So whats the deal? Is sorcery just a useless skill till a high level? Or is there some kind of trick that im not getting?

Sorcery is definitely hard at low levels because you don't have any of the complementary school skills (alteration, invocation, etc), thus even if you have 100% chance to cast a spell, it will be less effective. Two tips:

1. Pay attention to damage types. Classic example: use fire against undeads, not ice or poison.
    2. You get AOE sooner and better than warriors. Learn to use them.
    3. Focus on spells of one school when you progress so that the overall damage will go up faster

Hope this helped a bit :)

• @Clavicus said in Sorcery, useless ?:

You definitely want a melee skill or spiritualism so you can use burning spirit if you are a mage at the moment. New spells are being implemented.

I found burning spirit to be really meh atm especially since you take dmg also if u step into fire.
    How much int is needed to have 2 spirits out at the same time (not targeted ones but area ones)?

EDIT: Ok after playing around with sorcery a bit 2 of the biggest issues i have so far are:

1. 100% chance to get interrupted casting on hit (spells with 1.5 second cast time are pretty much useless after first cast cause u cant cast them anymore due to interrupts).
    2. Staffs are taking insane durability hit in melee and lets face it no matter how hard you try monsters will get to you (except skeletons and zombies maybe) so you will have to melee a bit.

And honorary mention goes to random AOE now i havent tested it a lot but when using meteror shower it seems to be very luck based if meteors will hit target.

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.