Release 03 - Sorcery Rebalancing

• Hi everyone,

Below is a detail description of the patch.

CHANGES

1 - The formulas for Mana Regeneration and Psi Regeneration have been changed with the aim of making passive regeneration considerably faster (and active regeneration slightly quicker as well). For instance, before this patch a player with 100 Meditation, 100 Wisdom and 100 Mana Regen (mod) would recover 1.00 Mana/second passively and 3.00 Mana/second actively. The same player now recovers 1.75 Mana/second passively (75% faster) and 3.50 Mana/second actively (17% faster).

2 - Receiving direct physical damage now has a 50% chance of interrupting Sorcery spellcasting instead of 100%. This applies both to successful hits received by other players and by monsters.

3 - A new weapon modifier, Sorcery Interrupt, has been introduced. This modifier is capped to 50% on melee weapons (thus granting 100% interrupt chance on a successful hit if maxed) and 25% on ranged weapons. Please mind that high Staff Fighting levels and Superior Dodge modifiers are still crucial for a PvP mage build.

4 - Receiving direct magical damage still has a 100% chance of interrupting Sorcery spellcasting. However, this value is now reduced by Spell Defiance - specifically, down to 50% at 100 Spell Defiance.

5 - The formula determining spell damage has been revised. The bonus from Wisdom has been reduced, while the modifier Spell Damage Increase is now capped to 20% for PvP damage and AOE damage (both PvP and PvE), but is uncapped for direct spell damage in PvE. Consequently, the base damage of most spells has been increased. This makes it easier for skilled mages to build a good mage equipment and also makes new players who choose to go for a mage build more effective.

To make things clear, given a players with the same skills, stats and modifiers before and now, spell damage has become significantly higher if the player is at low levels, and the same or slightly higher if the player is at high levels.

6 - The Sorcery spell Ice Splinters now freezes the target for 6 seconds if he hasn't moved more than 5 tiles away from where he was when the spell was cast on him. Freeze duration is reduced by the victim's Spell Defiance as always. This adds a whole new tactical layer to Ice Splinters, forcing the victim to choose whether to run away and get damage, or stay and get stunned.

7 - Hail Storm now applies thin ice / full freeze to victims hit.

8 - The Poison and Noxious Plague spells now apply level 1 poison by default, raised to level 3 at 100 Conjuration. The Poisoning skill grants a chance to raise such level to 4 or 5.

9 - Icicles, Chain Lightning and Noxious Plague can no longer hit players who belong to the same party of the caster, who thus become immune to friendly fire. Please mind other spells such as Meteor Storm can still damage yourself and your party members, and this is done on purpose to make their use more challenging.

10 - The staff repair tool (Crystal Buffing Wheel) now works like other repair tools (spawns with 60 charges, consumes charges on use, only breaks at 0 charges). A permanent Crystal Buffing Wheel has been added to the main square of Riverbank like all other repair tools.

11 - Staffs are now created with the same hidden Quality factor as weapons - that is, the chance to lose durability on each use is now like that of weapons.

12 - The premium staff repair tool now has 10 uses and adds 50 maximum durability like premium weapon repair tools.

13 - Resistance debuffs (e.g. Scorch, the Oozes, Spiritual Chains) now reduce resistances below the minimum set by Spell Defiance.

14 - The movement code has been revamped to reduce rubberbanding episodes. We are now logging all such episodes and will tweak the system to get rid of them all for players who don't actually have connectivity issues.

15 - Players with screen with resolution above 2048 x 1152 px can no longer set the game full screen, which was causing them to have a black bar on the right side of the game window. This is just a temporary measure while we implement 4K UHD support (3840×2160 px).

FIXES

A major bug with regeneration skills has been fixed. The bug was causing players and creatures alike to immediately regenerate a huge amount of life/stamina/mana/psi the first time it got reduced after it hadn't been reduced for a while - all server side only, while the client was not notified of that. This bug has been around for a long time and was causing all sorts of issues, including:

• Attacking a monster that had been alive for a while, and feeling like the second successful hit you delivered was not being registered
    • Casting a spell after not having cast one for while, and having the second spell cast "for free" without consuming life/stamina/mana/psi
    • Receiving damage, using heal spells and getting the message "You are already at full health"
    • Trying to regenerate life/stamina/mana/psi and getting the message "You are already at full life/stamina/mana/psi"
    • ...and several others

Let us known what you think of this massive balancing patch and enjoy Linkrealms!

• Why is the quality factor hidden? What are you hoping to accomplish by doing that?

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@Prometheus said in Beta Update - Patch 2.2 (06-06-16):

CHANGES

1 - The formulas for Mana Regeneration and Psi Regeneration have been changed with the aim of making passive regeneration considerably faster (and active regeneration slightly quicker as well). For instance, before this patch a player with 100 Meditation, 100 Wisdom and 100 Mana Regen (mod) would recover 1.00 Mana/second passively and 3.00 Mana/second actively. The same player now recovers 1.75 Mana/second passively (75% faster) and 3.50 Mana/second actively (17% faster).

Cool change we'll have to see how this works for pvp where mana issues are huge over a longer fight.

2 - Receiving direct physical damage now has a 50% chance of interrupting Sorcery spellcasting instead of 100%. This applies both to successful hits received by other players and by monsters.

Nice.

3 - A new weapon modifier, Sorcery Interrupt, has been introduced. This modifier is capped to 50% on melee weapons (thus granting 100% interrupt chance on a successful hit if maxed) and 25% on ranged weapons. Please mind that high Staff Fighting levels and Superior Dodge modifiers are still crucial for a PvP mage build.

Interesting.

4 - Receiving direct magical damage still has a 100% chance of interrupting Sorcery spellcasting. However, this value is now reduced by Spell Defiance - specifically, down to 50% at 100 Spell Defiance.

Makes spell defiance more beneficial for mages I like that and even warriors when the spell channeling effect is added to weapons.

5 - The formula determining spell damage has been revised. The bonus from Wisdom has been reduced, while the modifier Spell Damage Increase is now capped to 20% for PvP damage and AOE damage (both PvP and PvE), but is uncapped for direct spell damage in PvE. Consequently, the base damage of most spells has been increase. This makes it easier for skilled mages to build a good mage equipment and also makes new players who choose to go for a mage build more effective.

Kind of confused on this. I could be misreading this but are you saying overall spell damage is being reduced? thats how it reads to me (for pvp). i see that base damage was increased but was it increased so much that the bonus from wisdom being reduced and taking 20% sdi away will make up for it ( i beleive old caps were 40 40 40 then csi was channged to 20 now sdi 20 (pvp) and mcr 40)? Or is this intentionally because mages technically will have more mana over time because of regen?

6 - The Sorcery spell Ice Splinters now freezes the target for 6 seconds if he hasn't moved more than 5 tiles away from where he was when the spell was cast on him. This adds a whole new tactical layer to Ice Splinters, forcing the victim to choose whether to run away and get damage, or stay and get stunned.

Pretty cool. My question is will spell defiance reduce the freeze duration of this from 6 seconds?

7 - Hail Storm now applies thin ice / full freeze to victims hit.

Coo.

8 - The Poison and Noxious Plague spells now apply level 1 poison by default, raised to level 3 at 100 Conjuration. The Poisoning skill grants a chance to raise such level to 4 or 5.

I like but youll never have the skill points to have both poisoning and conjuration on a mage unless you make the jankest build ever.

9 - Icicles, Chain Lightning and Noxious Plague can no longer hit players who belong to the same party of the caster, who thus become immune to friendly fire. Please mind other spells such as Meteor Storm can still damage yourself and your party members, and this is done on purpose to make their use more challenging.

I understand changing nox plague kinda but I really dislike any aoe spell not hitting friendly targets. You should have to decide if you want to put your allies at risk by casting a spell like chain lightning. Now 10 mages (when 10 are created? lol) can all blast enemies with chain lightning and there is no worry of hitting their allies.

10 - The staff repair tool (Crystal Buffing Wheel) now works like other repair tools (spawns with 60 charges, consumes charges on use, only breaks at 0 charges). A permanent Crystal Buffing Wheel has been added to the main square of Riverbank like all other repair tools.

Its about time.

11 - Staffs are now created with the same hidden Quality factor as weapons - that is, the chance to lose durability on each use is now like that of weapons.

So all current staffs still have crap quality potentially? :(

12 - The premium staff repair tool now has 10 uses and adds 50 maximum durability like premium weapon repair tools.

Bout time.

13 - Resistance debuffs (e.g. Scorch, the Oozes, Spiritual Chains) now reduce resistances below the minimum set by Spell Defiance.

Good.

14 - The movement code has been revamped to reduce rubberbanding episodes. We are now logging all such episodes and will tweak the system to get rid of them all for players who don't actually have connectivity issues.

Major pain point glad its being worked on.

Let us known what you think of this massive balancing patch and enjoy Linkrealms!

Overall it seems like an awesome patch. I wish there were more spells added in this patch tho. Cant wait to see how it plays out in game. Thanks for listening to our feedback and please rename this patch Clavicus Viles amazing mage patch and thank you :)

• THis still sounds terrible. Now we require 2 different skills (staff and defiance) just to have a chance at not having your spells interrupted?

These new skills you guys are designing are horrible. 100 levels of grinding and most of them actually do very little.

• So... if I understood properly, with 20% sdi you do the same damage as 40% sdi from bfore?
    I am buffed to 158 wisdom, 20% sdi and I dont see that I am doing anything better from damage wise with my caster. Actually it seems even lower... did you really tested this change at all?

• FOUNDER: SETTLER

Add update to steam.

• @Clavicus @DEAD given a players with the same skills, stats and modifiers before and now, spell damage has become significantly higher if the player is at low levels, and stays the same if the player is at high levels. Most of the advantage for you skilled mages will come from fewer interrupts and more mana regen.

@Clavicus Spell defiance does reduce the freeze as always. I added both info to the OP. The quality of existing staffs is just slightly lower than the current one - it was already very close.

@Vengeance "Quality" has been hidden for over a year now because it's not variable anymore, thus there is no need to show it. You get half the interrupts in PvE against melee monsters or ranged non-mage monsters without the need to have any skill. If you want to protect yourself more from mage monsters as well, you are now given a choice which didn't exist before. Up to you to take it or not.

• With more than one aggressive mob on your tail, you're still being constantly interrupted. I'm sill having to leave combat constantly to cast and regen, then run back in. It's just not fun.

Good luck with the PvP server, because the PvE is a ghost town.

• Prometheus, somehow your math doesnt match... I used to do 60 dmg with ice splinters, now I am doing 40ish.

• @DEAD said in Beta Update - Patch 2.2 (06-06-16):

Prometheus, somehow your math doesnt match... I used to do 60 dmg with ice splinters, now I am doing 40ish.

Ice splinters does a fixed 15-25 damage every 3 steps, doesn't depend on any skill nor mod, so its damage is absolutely unchanged. Are you sure you just don't have more Ice Resistance (if you are testing it on yourself)? :D

• Well, I did tested both on me with 100 spell defiance... will do a couple more testing

• @Prometheus i think you should focus on the criminal status update. More and more players are leaiving the game. The sorc update is not so important. I would like to see 80+ players

• FOUNDER: DUKE

@Kapich its the price of the missed wipe, and probably situation will not rise up until official launch.... what is done is done...

• @Meziljin Wipe is not an option, stil i can kill any new player after a few days in game becouse i know how to play where to find weapons and so on.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

@Kapich sure, wipe is not an option , its a must have for new games, the new generation of players (from WoW till now) do not accept easily hard begin game (like ultima online for example), if they got a bad start they fastly change game, market is full of titles, even free.... its my opinion...

• @Prometheus said:" The Sorcery spell Ice Splinters now freezes the target for 6 seconds if he hasn't moved more than 5 tiles away from where he was when the spell was cast on him"

6 sec friez in pvp is 99.999999999% that you will louse when it hit you, dont think its "balanced". The max cc duration was 3 sec and its still a long time, you are pushing the borders?

But still a good thing is that we will see now more mages playing, ti was boring to see only archers

• @Kapich said in Beta Update - Patch 2.2 (06-06-16):

@Prometheus said:" The Sorcery spell Ice Splinters now freezes the target for 6 seconds if he hasn't moved more than 5 tiles away from where he was when the spell was cast on him"

6 sec friez in pvp is 99.999999999% that you will louse when it hit you, dont think its "balanced". The max cc duration was 3 sec and its still a long time, you are pushing the borders?

But still a good thing is that we will see now more mages playing, ti was boring to see only archers

Its defnly not freezing for 6s
    Its barely 3s. He probably misstyped.

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@DEAD actually I asked this question and it is effected by spell defiance so I'd imagine if it's 100 it'd only last 3 sec

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.