PvP / PvM Server and release questions

• FOUNDER: SETTLER

First of all congrats for the smooth beta launch (ok, a little delay, but nothing serious!).

I am very positively impressed from what i played those hours and I could feel already my UO memories coming. Most likely I will upgrade to Prince my founder pack ;)

But I have 2 questions requiring an answer before planing an excessive grinding next weeks:

a) I read in the FAQs no wipe will be planned during beta sessions. But this is so also for the official / steam release, or at this point there will be a Wipe?

b) at the moment only the PvP Ruleset server is available. As you already confirmed in another thread transferring chars from PvE to PvP server won't be possible (and this is more than correct to preserve the economy).
    This means players who would like to play on PvE Server they will need to wait this second server? (if yes, any est. date for it?) or will you offer a one-time-only transfer possibility when adding PvE Server to move the character trained during those weeks/months from the current PvP Server?

Thanks for your Info and keep up the good work!

• Nice post. I want to know that stuff too.

Think on buying the Prince support regarding on that info.

Yep, since my time is somewhat limited the next weeks I need to know if the grinding won't be wasted ^^

And i've a few "younger" friends who are interested to join but mostly for PvE.

I will probably end up playing on both servers..risk vs reward is always satisfying.. but also a more chilled environment for a merchant guild in a PvE server is appealing to me.

• Hi @Kerkyon and @Lady-Yharnam , there will be no wipe indeed - I just added it to the FAQ too:

http://www.linkrealms.com/faq/

One-time transfers won't be possible for technical reasons. However, you will find your Founder Pack rewards again the first time you create a character on the upcoming PvE server!

Thank you a lot for the info Prometheus! ^^
    "upcoming PvE server" sounds something not that distant in time? *
    * eheheh

• @Prometheus said:

However, you will find your Founder Pack rewards again the first time you create a character on the upcoming PvE server!

This is exactly what I was looking for before I considered taking a Founder Pack. So, I'm just going to ask the really dense question to make it 100% clear...

If I use my rewards on a Beta PvP server, will I get them back and be able to use them again on the PvE server?

• @HunterGreen said:

@Prometheus said:

However, you will find your Founder Pack rewards again the first time you create a character on the upcoming PvE server!

This is exactly what I was looking for before I considered taking a Founder Pack. So, I'm just going to ask the really dense question to make it 100% clear...

If I use my rewards on a Beta PvP server, will I get them back and be able to use them again on the PvE server?

Yes. You'll find them all on the PvE server too - besides credits, which are shared between servers :) This is unique for founder pack, twice the rewards for the bucks ;)

• @Prometheus so you already decided we gonna have two different servers (PvP and PvE) than just only one?...

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@Prometheus said:

Hi @Kerkyon and @Lady-Yharnam , there will be no wipe indeed - I just added it to the FAQ too:

One-time transfers won't be possible for technical reasons. However, you will find your Founder Pack rewards again the first time you create a character on the upcoming PvE server!

Will it let it us use it on our first generation characters that created before pve server shut down?

@Vetro said:

@Prometheus so you already decided we gonna have two different servers (PvP and PvE) than just only one?...

The pve was the first server before the pvp server was even created. I don't see why they wouldn't open it. The pve server has both of the servers in one just not as much as pvp

• if they do that it will probably be alot more players on pve server than pvp which quite sadness me.So they shouldcompletely eliminate pvp from pve server cas if pve server has and pvp no matter its limited it wont make much appeal to go to pvp server-

@Gorstak said:

if they do that it will probably be alot more players on pve server than pvp which quite sadness me.So they shouldcompletely eliminate pvp from pve server cas if pve server has and pvp no matter its limited it wont make much appeal to go to pvp server-

What would be the point in wiping out pvp on pve server for? The only places it's pvp at on the pve server is stone abyss, the pvp lands where tart is, player owned realms and fort demise. Fort demise is just a betting pvp fight where players put up money and the wining team take the money. Just in case no one knows what it is

• This is looking very troublesome already and completely contradictory to what I have read before. I thought this game was going to be open world PVP like original UO? Now I'm understanding there is going to be a split in the already small player base of PVE Server and another for a PVP Server? No one likes getting ganked, killed, looted, etc etc etc. but that was in part what original UO was all about, very rarely did you have that totally "safe feeling" even while under the protection of the town guards. I know this game is not a mirror of UO but lets be real, one of the main selling points of this game is the UO vibe and from what I'm understanding its already making the same mistakes that EA UO did.

@WTFzombie said:

This is looking very troublesome already and completely contradictory to what I have read before. I thought this game was going to be open world PVP like original UO? Now I'm understanding there is going to be a split in the already small player base of PVE Server and another for a PVP Server? No one likes getting ganked, killed, looted, etc etc etc. but that was in part what original UO was all about, very rarely did you have that totally "safe feeling" even while under the protection of the town guards. I know this game is not a mirror of UO but lets be real, one of the main selling points of this game is the UO vibe and from what I'm understanding its already making the same mistakes that EA UO did.

Not everyone wants full pvp and some people do. A pve server with slight pvp fighting is perfect for those type of people. People who want full open pvp has the other server. It's just easier to to make two server's like this due to the fact not everyone wants the same thing. It's also a game the dev's have to cater to certain needs. They are there to make a proffit not cater to everyones demands and make squat

• That would be all fine and dandy with a large player base but that is something this game does not have. Making this type of "community" game feel like a single player game will kill it very quickly.

• @Aries said:

@Prometheus said:

Hi @Kerkyon and @Lady-Yharnam , there will be no wipe indeed - I just added it to the FAQ too:

Will it let it us use it on our first generation characters that created before pve server shut down?

As stated several times - yes, you'll find your old characters in the PvE server - which in fact will be just the old PvE server, updated to current features and world :)

• @Aries said:

The pve was the first server before the pvp server was even created. I don't see why they wouldn't open it. The pve server has both of the servers in one just not as much as pvp

I know it was. I played on it... But starting two servers with such low player base is, no offense, stupid. Players have voted for one big open PvP server, so why now someone even speaks about PvE? Anyway since on PvE server we had PvE realms and PvP only in some dungeons, people dont need to be cautious 24/7 and they can teleport across the map whenever they like. So say what you want, but almost everyone, especially new players, will go on PvE server mostly because of laziness and we will have like 10 players on PvP server - gonna be so much fun there! :|

I dont think they will reinstate pve server for sometime and after the player base is sufficient.

As soon the game is available on steam the player base will explode compare to what it is right now. So don't worry. There will always be the kind of player who like PvE and the player who loves PvP.

I'm always puzzled by the view of PvPers where UO is concerned. Back when I was researching what server to play on, I ran across an interesting article talking about the Trammel server and it's impact. According to the article (I'm paraphrasing from memory), at one point in its history, UO started losing a large amount of its subscribers and the PvP was cited as the reason. In an effort to save the game, the developers made the Trammel server. So many people flocked to that server that the PvP server became a ghost town. Subscriptions started increasing again and the game continues to run (not sure what the population numbers are for the PvP vs Non-PvP servers are). So when you talk about what killed (or would have) UO, it seems it was the PvP only server (and the later expansions), the Trammel server saved the game for awhile. I'm trying to find the article again (it was really interesting), but here's what I found with just a quick search.

Wikipedia: "In May 2000, Ultima Online's second expansion Ultima Online: Renaissance dramatically altered the game. It split the game world into two parts called Trammel and Felucca, one was a consensual PVP zone, while the other was non-consensual. Eventually, the Renaissance expansion created large areas of the game in which it was not possible to harm other players. A significant spike in account reactivation was attributed to this aspect of Renaissance." Needs citation, but notice the "significant spike" wording.

Interview with former Executive Producer Gordon Walton: "The unforgiving play environment that made UO so intense was clearly driving away between 70+% of all the new players that tried the game within 60 days. After the change which broke the game space into PvP and PvE worlds, the player base and income nearly doubled (we went from 125k to 245k subs). So from a fiscal responsibility standpoint it was a totally winning move. Without the "sheep to shear" the hard core PvP'ers were disenfranchised. They didn't like preying on each other (hard targets versus soft targets), and they became a smaller minority in the overall game. We were not successful in bringing back the (literally)100's of thousands of players who had quit due to the unbridled PvP in the world (~5% of former customers came back to try the new UO, but very few of them stayed). http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/102-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-trammel/

I also keep running into descriptions like this: "While loads of players flocked to Trammel out of a desire to experience the game beyond a corpse simulator....." Flocked to the Non-PvP server. Flocked, as in En Masse. Looking at forum posts will tell you why so many people left. They simply wanted to enjoy exploring the game without someone else getting in the way of it.

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.