New, question about melee types

• I noticed after a bit that mostly everyone is either archer or running some type of mage setup. I was wondering if melee is even viable? I recently picked up the game and I am having fun but to me melee seems a bit unresponsive. What I mean is like in melee range the characters turns to hit others and the reaction seems slow and just plain bad. Now I haven't reached end game but I was trying a mage last night and it seemed way smoother than playing in melee range.
    Anyone got or want to share viable and successful melee builds that level up decently and are ok at the end?

One more thing, do you guys normally go for lockpicking on melee build? or save it for something else? Wish there was a melee guide :(

Thanks in advance

• Severing is bad, simply because it's base damage is lower than Mauling. Mauling is OK if you have the Blood Talon, which has been OP since the beginning of this game. I don't see any reason to take severing over mauling.

• @dnvrom2
    Mage counters everything, but there are a lot of different ways to build/gear mage, so that's a deceptive statement. Additionally, it doesn't really hard counter anything, it's just generally always slightly better. Most of the builds for it, at least. An exception is martial artist mage, which will shit any melee/most archer builds, but get shit on by most "pure" mage builds.

Unlike mages, however, melee/archers don't have many different builds. A specialized 1v1 archer, or counter-mage archer will be nearly the same as the cookie cutter archer build.

Generally, the 1v1 power order will go something like: Martial Artist(mage build) >most other mage types > severer > mauler > archer. Keep in mind, though, nobody should ever die in a 1v1. If you die in a 1v1, you were either doing something retarded, or you're just in garbage gear. Plus it's really subject to the composition of the dominant PKers at the moment; example 4 months ago we were all archers, so maulers/mage teams were amazing in small scale fights.

In team fights, it's best to have some combination of classes, just so your enemies can't use counter-gear/emberskin. Your focus should still be on mages, though. A side note: all mages are currently in garbage gear, to the point of essentially being naked, due to a bug that reset all of the stats on cloth gear, and an addition bug that makes the production of new enchanted cloth gear impossible. Until this is fixed, mages are going to be exceptionally weak, and require specific counter gear for every other character type. Said counter gear will become worthless once the bugs are fixed, so I highly doubt many people will bother in the short term.

All mages are currently hamstrung because of this, as one of the biggest reasons they "should" be dominant is their ability to max resists, without handicapping themselves with a lack of Mreduct/+skills, etc. If you've, say, sub 50 shock/fire resist, you're gonna get 1shot by a mage, if you have say, sub 50 ethreal/poison/ice resist you're gonna get destroyed by an archer in 2 hits. Mages can't be effective against several types of classes simultaneously right now.

This was really long, and probably didn't adequately explain the current balance. Feel free to ask specific questions, if you'd like.

• @Holya said in New, question about melee types:

@dnvrom2
    Mage counters everything, but there are a lot of different ways to build/gear mage, so that's a deceptive statement. Additionally, it doesn't really hard counter anything, it's just generally always slightly better. Most of the builds for it, at least. An exception is martial artist mage, which will shit any melee/most archer builds, but get shit on by most "pure" mage builds.

Unlike mages, however, melee/archers don't have many different builds. A specialized 1v1 archer, or counter-mage archer will be nearly the same as the cookie cutter archer build.

Generally, the 1v1 power order will go something like: Martial Artist(mage build) >most other mage types > severer > mauler > archer. Keep in mind, though, nobody should ever die in a 1v1. If you die in a 1v1, you were either doing something retarded, or you're just in garbage gear. Plus it's really subject to the composition of the dominant PKers at the moment; example 4 months ago we were all archers, so maulers/mage teams were amazing in small scale fights.

In team fights, it's best to have some combination of classes, just so your enemies can't use counter-gear/emberskin. Your focus should still be on mages, though. A side note: all mages are currently in garbage gear, to the point of essentially being naked, due to a bug that reset all of the stats on cloth gear, and an addition bug that makes the production of new enchanted cloth gear impossible. Until this is fixed, mages are going to be exceptionally weak, and require specific counter gear for every other character type. Said counter gear will become worthless once the bugs are fixed, so I highly doubt many people will bother in the short term.

All mages are currently hamstrung because of this, as one of the biggest reasons they "should" be dominant is their ability to max resists, without handicapping themselves with a lack of Mreduct/+skills, etc. If you've, say, sub 50 shock/fire resist, you're gonna get 1shot by a mage, if you have say, sub 50 ethreal/poison/ice resist you're gonna get destroyed by an archer in 2 hits. Mages can't be effective against several types of classes simultaneously right now.

This was really long, and probably didn't adequately explain the current balance. Feel free to ask specific questions, if you'd like.

No that was perfect ty very good information to know ahead of time. Was curious when you say martial artist mage. Do they use the staff to buff up with magic skills then switch to no weapons for the martial artist part? Seem like a nice mix and since I like melee a lot I might give this a go. Is the calculation different or higher in damage for MA since they have no weapons when fighting? I haven't seen any fist type weapons drop either at the time.

• @dnvrom2
    You can cast spells without a staff equipped, and MAs will simply never have anything in the hand slot, which is what makes them less effective mages, the lack of stats from staffs. The point of a martial arts mage is essentially to CC chain people with a high damage spell pre-casted, and hope your stupid high damage melee hit procs 2/3 times, and you don't miss enough for your buffs to fade(they're reapplied on melee hit).

The reason I say they're best in 1v1, is IF they get lucky they'll kill somebody in like 3 seconds, regardless of the enemy's gear. If you're looking to be the very best, like no one ever was, don't play a fister. If you're looking to be sorta above average, without too much effort fister is for you. Their weaknesses are hard to exploit, but once an enemy has it figure out there's no counterplay to their counterplay.

In team fights, they're just a slightly less effective mage, assuming both teams are on even ground. Once one side starts losing, however, a fister would be slightly better at chasing enemies down.

• @Roundwaters
    double-strike, double-double proc = dead. A perfectly geared severer will out DPS a perfectly geared mauler, versus most targets, and its damage comes in bursts, rather than straight DPS.

A severer needs support more than a mauler, but nobody has good enough gear/ping to really make it work. In general, I'd agree, but again if you're looking to be #1 your team's melee should be a severer, not a mauler.

• @dnvrom2 we have in store some changes for melee characters (new tactics, rebalancing/moving around of current ones and DPS) :)

@Holya the resistances resetting bug was fixed a while ago in this patch:

http://forums.linkrealms.com/topic/3682

How comes you're saying it still happens?

• @Prometheus
    Oh, I didn't mean to imply it still happens, just that its has a lasting effect. Not that the bug was really relevant for long, considering the update that increased the power of cloth armor drastically was around the same time.

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.