Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread

• This is the official discussion thread regarding the new rules on the ownership of multiple accounts.

Let's keep the discussion civilized and constructive. The rules could be amended if a compromise that satisfies the community at large is found - aside from the (very small) part of the community who wants to keep exploiting the unfair advantages the current situation offers, of course.

Our priority, as always, is to cater to your honest needs and let you have fun playing Linkrealms, while keeping a level playing field for everyone.

Please avoid posting if you have nothing to say besides provoking other players.

This thread is the continuation of this spontaneous discussion that emerged after the new rules were announced.

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@Prometheus why aren't long time (or anyone playing before this implementation) not grandfathered into being allowed to use all the accounts they have (not using them to scout but to keep realms etc) I have paid for a few keys in addition to accounts I had prior to Phoenix and for realms in advance and have far more than 3.

Also like holya mentioned... LOCKPICKING. I seriously would have to run a lockpicking over... Log out... Log in my main.. kill shit... Log main out... Log in picker... Pick chests and not be able to have my main on killing while I do that?

This change is a joke.

• I play this game for fun, but what I find fun isn't necessarily what you find fun. I like making efficient systems, I like domination, I enjoy doing things perfectly, I like solving puzzles. I can't have fun with Linkrealms unless I'm squeezing every last percent out, and mbiguous rules do not mesh with that. You're asking me not to find loopholes, like I'm some kind of criminal trying to find a legal way to steal something. I just want to play a video game as efficiently, and competitively as possible. You're not allowing me to do that.

Please set very firm, very specific rules. If somebody finds a way around them, ask them to stop, and update the rules. Please don't make rules you can't enforce, because it strongly encourages people to break them. If somebody who isn't me is breaking them, and I'm not, I'm at a massive disadvantage. I can't have fun when I'm at a disadvantage I can't overcome.

• @Clavicus said in Multi-Accounting Rules/Security Theatre:

@Prometheus why aren't long time (or anyone playing before this implementation) not grandfathered into being allowed to use all the accounts they have (not using them to scout but to keep realms etc) I have paid for a few keys in addition to accounts I had prior to Phoenix and for realms in advance and have far more than 3.

Also like holya mentioned... LOCKPICKING. I seriously would have to run a lockpicking over... Log out... Log in my main.. kill shit... Log main out... Log in picker... Pick chests and not be able to have my main on killing while I do that?

This change is a joke.

I understand the logic behind asking for the money you've put in your accounts not to be wasted due to the limit of 3 accounts. Of course any realm time you have purchased and not used in full yet will be refunded if you have to give up some of your accounts. Let me ask you a couple questions more pertinent to the discussion tho:

1. Do you have a problem with the limit of 3 accounts or with the limit of one account logged in at the same time?
    2. If your main problem is with the limit of one account logged in at the same time, is it just because of lockpicking? Are you aware lockpicking is in the skill cap exactly because you should make a strategic choice when building your character - more loot vs more combat prowess - and that logging in a second "lockpicker" account is a way to circumvent our design?

• i prefer one account connected at once.
    So then tha /who is about how many real pg are logged in with a pc (exception holya)
    the world is now full of real interactions and this is good.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

@Prometheus said in Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread:

1. If your main problem is with the limit of one account logged in at the same time, is it just because of lockpicking? Are you aware lockpicking is in the skill cap exactly because you should make a strategic choice when building your character - more loot vs more combat prowess - and that logging in a second "lockpicker" account is a way to circumvent our design?

That was exactly what i was thinking reading the Clavicus issues...
    Lockpicking is not in working skills for the reason listened above, creating a lockpicker unit to avoid a skill pool limitation is a "violation" of the skill structure logic imho

• @Holya said in Multi-Accounting Rules/Security Theatre:

You cannot discern who an account belongs to if the owner doesn't want you to, and is even semi-computer literate. Trying to dispute this is laughable. I know your team knows you can't, and honestly it's a little insulting that your rules imply you can.

If one were malicious, the first thing they'd do to exploit this rule is use their network of accounts you can't discern are theirs to frame their enemies for scouting. If the IP/account name/PC name/PC settings/Specs/Inputs/whatever else you're checking don't match anybody, who will you punish? It seems it'd be either everybody or nobody. If it's everybody, I would abuse that to ruin others. If it's nobody I'd abuse it to help myself.

Of course if one has always used proxies and fake mails when running an account, we cannot easily understand who that accounts belong to. But you see, we don't have to. The next patch will come with a quite sophisticated logging system for suspicious activity to help us in this regard. It takes us a second to find out if an account is an empty one used for ghost/stealth/login-logout camping, and ban it. Way more than it takes someone to create the account, set it up with some hiding skill and move it there.

@Holya said in Multi-Accounting Rules/Security Theatre:

A circuit only takes ~15 minutes, or less with enough teleports in your network. Plenty of time to catch anybody doing any dungeon.

It takes 15 minutes, you say? Then do it that way instead of arguing over loopholes in the new ruleset. There is one legitimate and effective way for a "pro" PK to scout for people playing dungeons: the one you've just mentioned. Others involving multiple accounts just aren't.

@Prometheus said in Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread:

@Clavicus said in Multi-Accounting Rules/Security Theatre:

This change is a joke.

I understand the logic behind asking for the money you've put in your accounts not to be wasted due to the limit of 3 accounts. Of course any realm time you have purchased and not used in full yet will be refunded if you have to give up some of your accounts. Let me ask you a couple questions more pertinent to the discussion tho:

1. Do you have a problem with the limit of 3 accounts or with the limit of one account logged in at the same time?
    2. If your main problem is with the limit of one account logged in at the same time, is it just because of lockpicking? Are you aware lockpicking is in the skill cap exactly because you should make a strategic choice when building your character - more loot vs more combat prowess - and that logging in a second "lockpicker" account is a way to circumvent our design?

I love the idea. I think it's the lock picking from the view of honest players with it in the skill cap it's very hard to customize the way you want to with all the new skills you and dev team has created. So what I suggest is that you make a minor apprintace skill that is not included in the skill cap that can go to lock picking say up to level 40. I think this would help multiple accounts issue.

With my main I can have all the skills I want for my player but nothing to put to lock picking. If I wanted to do this skill I would need my second account to pick up the slack. With my suggestion you can have lock picking at least to level 40 thus use the skill to lock pick level 40 and below.

With that in mind even though my main player can't have enough skill cap points to do anything above that level. There is things in game now that would boost my level to be able to do above the suggested level

@Aries am i the only one with a normal mage with lockpicking? i sacrified really nothing into the build, ofc its a pve character (no endurance, spel defiance), but its a good build for farming dungeons, lockpicking on pvp its unreasonable imho

@Meziljin said in Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread:

@Aries am i the only one with a normal mage with lockpicking? i sacrified really nothing into the build, ofc its a pve character (no endurance, spel defiance), but its a good build for farming dungeons, lockpicking on pvp its unreasonable imho

With my skill sets to where I want them to be I have no room for more than level 10 lock picking. I use mage male and summons so all my skills balance them along with the armor I wear

@Aries well i'm quite sure in future will be implemented clairvoyance and shamanism, and surely u cannot put all into your "Hero", and more other skills will come...

If it was possible to create a perfect build, the skill cap had been useless...
    But it's my opinion, personally i think creating a lockpicker character to leave into a spider dungeon (for example) and just login him to open chests when your full pvp character is clearing the area is lame...

• Well, i will put my problem.

If i am owner of a establishment where i do rent 10 computers for gamers and i have installed LinkRealms in 3 of those computers because they saw me playing this awesome game, and they did asked to play it. So since its the same IP Adress, i figure it will be a "violation" with this new rule.

Im not saying the idea is bad, this rules are very nice for the actual game, but not for who never used the same computer or other computers to log in several accounts, I never been in 2 accounts at same time, maybe just to move some Artifact items between my main and alt account because i cant put them in the Chest on my Realm for security.

Excuse my English. =)

@Meziljin said in Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread:

@Aries well i'm quite sure in future will be implemented clairvoyance and shamanism, and surely u cannot put all into your "Hero", and more other skills will come...

If it was possible to create a perfect build, the skill cap had been useless...
    But it's my opinion, personally i think creating a lockpicker character to leave into a spider dungeon (for example) and just login him to open chests when your full pvp character is clearing the area is lame...

I didn't say I wanted lock picking :)
    I could care less for it. The point being that if it was say blacksmithing skill would you want it in the skill cap? No because it's a work skill. Technically so is lock picking but we are not arguing that point of you read any of this. The point is it's a skill cap hog and over 90% of the characters can't do it. Thus we are arguing that multi acconts are used to be able to have access to this skill. With people with an evil nature exploit this bug and use it to there advantage. Why not just add half of this skill to the section where it's not apart the cap? There is items that can boost this skill now unlike before there was none

@Aries about the intention of put lockpicking as work skill, i'm agree, but we already discussed time ago about this on forum

Put half skill on characters is useless for the skill and for the conception of the skill, 50+25 lockpicking allow u to get nothing of good, because useful items start from chests lvl 80+ (in my experience)

But reasoning about this, imagine staff decide NOW to convert lockpicking into a work skill, HOW MANY players will start cry they want lockpicking moved on another characters? And we know it could become real in future, or not, but in any case we have to accept and discuss any news about skills, spells, stats etc...

@vorgoth333 said in Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread:

Well, i will put my problem.

If i am owner of a establishment where i do rent 10 computers for gamers and i have installed LinkRealms in 3 of those computers because they saw me playing this awesome game, and they did asked to play it. So since its the same IP Adress, i figure it will be a "violation" with this new rule.

Im not saying the idea is bad, this rules are very nice for the actual game, but not for who never used the same computer or other computers to log in several accounts, I never been in 2 accounts at same time, maybe just to move some Artifact items between my main and alt account because i cant put them in the Chest on my Realm for security.

Excuse my English. =)

This is a very good question @prometheus I log in with several different ip addresses due to I travel to different states country's etc etc. There's been a time I met you in person at the world game meets in Italy. Back when Paul was still around

• Except that when you make lockpicking required to obtain the MOST important gear (necklaces/bracelet) then it should be a working skill. Either way it won't really affect us, as we can switch characters easily, or just run dungeons with two people. Its just a matter of convenience for most players.

Why make something frustrating when it doesn't have to be

Either make lockpicking a working skill, or allow multiclienting only for lockpickers.

@Myhal said in Multi-Accounting Rules - Official Discussion Thread:

Except that when you make lockpicking required to obtain the MOST important gear (necklaces/bracelet) then it should be a working skill. Either way it won't really affect us, as we can switch characters easily, or just run dungeons with two people. Its just a matter of convenience for most players.

Why make something frustrating when it doesn't have to be

Either make lockpicking a working skill, or allow multiclienting only for lockpickers.

Exactly. That's why I suggested a apprentice lock picking skill that's not in the skill cap. Anything above a level that they set can be easily boosted by in game items that can raise it to level 70 if a player doesn't want the hassle to carry these things then they can use the skill cap to do so

They have stated many many times they don't want the skill under a working skill so what's easier than just to add part of it to it for the low grade chest

@Prometheus I have two prince accounts 1 duke account at least 2 maybe 3 id have to try and see beta keys i purchased which does not include other pre phoenix accounts i have. I bought with money.. you know the real kind that supports you guys (i find it laughable people like @vorgoth333 insult someone who supports a game news flash lr is dead if it makes 0 dollars) On the accounts I purchased with beta keys each i purchased 3 month claim stakes on (yes with real money) I did not purchase these to rent a spot for 3 months and be told oh sorry now you cant have these realms anymore cause our new rules. I purchased them to reserve the spots hoping a sale would come up like the one over the summer with 20% off so i could upgrade them to all one year. I have other accounts ive bought 1 year of time on / additional time Land ownership is something I enjoy immensely in this game. I realize its value/importance and want to own as much as I see fit.

To directly answer your questions I have a problem with both of your questions. It however would alleviate the first question tho with the limit of 3 accounts if you grandfather all accounts before this change takes place (there is precedent with uo where you could have 5 houses 1 per char then they made it 1 per account but accounts before x date were grandfathered and could own all 5 houses until the house was sold/traded/fell) Honestly with you limiting 3 accounts you are limiting the amount of money you can make from one person.

To your second question I 100% have a problem with the 1 char limit logged per time due specifically to lockpicking. Making it global wont alleviate this issue either because only 1 char would have lockpicking unless you are a glutton for punishment and work it on multiple chars. Anyone who thinks running lockpicking on their main build doesnt have a negative impact on their character is incompetent.

I have already voiced my concern/annoyance/disgust with the initial pvp system where you suggest to have a "pvp" char and then other chars to do pve etc. I have already stated I dont want to make 1 char specifically to do anything. I want to PLAY. I want to experience the game and not worry if I get attacked am I at a disadvantage in pvp because I have this shit lockpicking skill that is REQUIRED to have. You act as if its optional to have lockpciking.

@Myhal said it perfectly. Why make something frustrating when it doesnt have to be and that lockpicking give the most important gear (necklace/bracer).

I probably have more to say but I wasnt planning on wasting my free time today to have to make a post.

**edit I havent even mentioned the relam time i Have that i bought with argents

• Yeah never said it was not unfair, its just extreme xD

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.