Lockpicking should maybe be a "Working skill"?

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

With all the new skills lockpicking have become a bit of a bad choice to have in a build.
    The only thing you can use it for is to open chests. I doesn't help you in combat like the other skills.
    Yes you can find very nice stuff at high lvls in lockpicking, but at some point it is not needed as much
    as the other skills. Maybe it is just me who have that opinion?

ive recommended this several times and completely agree. I think every character should be able to train up this skill if they like. The way it is now having lockpicking is detrimental to a pvp/pve build. It makes you less viable but is basically required so you have the chance at getting specific items from chests like necklaces. I understand eventually we can make multiple characters but the reason the devs made tailoring etc a working skill is so nobody had to have a crafting toon. To me this falls under that same category. Everyone should upvote this post who agrees. Lets change Prometheus mind!

Yes I agree totally with what you are saying there too. We need it to change :)

• I agree. it sucks trying to fit lock picking into your build due to the global cap.

• Makes no sense that the only people who can get certain items will never be strong enough to hold onto them.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

I agree, and would actually love if having alt characters would never see the game,

So all working skills don't fall under your 700 skill cap huh? I didn't even know that. That is really nice :)

• All skills should fall under the cap, this forces players to diversify if everyone can max all the working skills there not really any economy for goods, just raw materials. at this point someone with a Rogue build with max lock-picking can hire themselves out for dungeon runs to pick the high level locks.

@xxpowerofsoundxx said:

All skills should fall under the cap, this forces players to diversify if everyone can max all the working skills there not really any economy for goods, just raw materials. at this point someone with a Rogue build with max lock-picking can hire themselves out for dungeon runs to pick the high level locks.

No this forces players to have a crafting only character not to diversify. Just because everyone can max a skill doesnt mean they will and just because you are able to craft at the highest level of tailoring for instance doesnt mean that you will get lucky enough to havce a randomly crafted item that is awesome. Awesome items will always command money regardless if everyone has the opportunity to craft them or not.

• This post is deleted!

@xxpowerofsoundxx i think you are responding to the wrong post

• i was. the forum drags reply windows around with you lol

We need more ppl to support this suggestion! :)

I'd also like to see lock picking become a working skill. I am finding it paralyzing to include lock picking into my build and will need to drop it. I doubt I will carry lock picking on any alts either, because it just hurts every build. Opening chests during a dungeon run adds content to the game. Yet the majority of players will not mess with it because of the penalty to their builds.

• FOUNDER: SETTLER

I don't I may be bias as I put the work in to getting lock pick to 60 so far.. I am still able to fair well in pvp/pve. I combat it with a build favoring eating a lot more food then the average regeneration build but with high regen items. I favor stamina leech and psi leech weapon as oppose gaining it rapidly through maxed regen/rejuivation/concentration, after a lot of hard work lock-picking is paying dividends which makes it affordable to chuggalug, It would be fine as a working skill but I think it still needs to be earned through a lot of effort no good reward should be easy to get it deflates the market.

• If it's going to say as an "combat" skill, then at least make some more non-combat adventuring skills. In that case, cartography should be an adventuring skill as well. Prospecting too.

Personally, I'd make a third skill pool for non combat, non-crafting skills. Like hiding.

@Vengeance said:

Personally, I'd make a third skill pool for non combat, non-crafting skills. Like hiding.

Thats a little sketchy. unless a ton of skills were added to that third pool. Otherwise everyone would have hiding, and idk.... meh

@Kaz-The-Unknown Im not asking for a change in the effort to raise the skill (in this post..however it does need WAY more consistent gains and yes i have high lockpicking) Im asking that it gets moved to a working skill. Like i mentioned previously it is the only skill that does not benefit you in pvp or pve and thus should be moved to working. Mages are hurt by this more than anyone else. Mages need way more skills to be effective than a warrior. So the (eventual) 100 skill gain hit in insurmountable. If Im a warrior I need a weapon skill and battle tactics. A mage needs enlightenment, staff fighting, sorcery, meditation as your ground level skills.

• We've been keeping an eye on this topic for a while now. We will discuss it and decide whether to move Lockpicking out of the cap or not - although the reason it's in the cap is specifically to make it a meaningful choice whether to have it or not on a specific character (higher rewards in dungeons and exploration vs overall stronger character).

• That's good in theory Prom, but what's going to happen is people are going to log out of their combat char and log in with their lock pick char once the coast is clear.

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.