The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization

• Hi everyone,

I'd like to start a very important discussion with all of you today regarding the future of Linkrealms. I'm tagging all @Settlers @Dukes @Barons @Princes for visibility.

You might be surprised reading through this thread, as we'll be discussing a topic on which game devs generally don't involve the community, and I will disclose information that are usually kept private. However, you know we have an extremely open and feedback-based approach to game development, and we want to keep true to our policy this time as well.

The core of the matter is simple: as of today, Linkrealms is not profitable. Revenues are enough to pay servers, hosting and other services needed to run the game, sure, which means there is no risk Linkrealms will be shut down. However, they are not enough to pay ourselves. Net of advertisement costs, revenues don't allow the team of Mythyn Interactive, made of three people working full time, to make a living out of Linkrealms. So here we are, finally at a huge turning point: find a way to make Linkrealms profitable, or turn it into an after-work project, with obvious consequences on development speed.

That is why we want to discuss with you what new items you would like to see on the Linkrealms Item Store. Some categories they can belong to:

1. Time savers;
    2. Decorative items for realms;
    3. Decorative equipment (or other unique items) for characters;
    4. Progression speedups;
    5. Guild functions;
    6. UI functions;

Mind, we don't want to turn Linkrealms into a Pay-To-Win game. This is strictly against our principles and will never happen. That's why we would also like to know what you'd find unacceptable to be found in the Item Store - particularly on the PvP server.

Cast your ideas! Your feedback is everything to us - and this time, more important for the future of the game than ever!

Thanks to all of you for your support,

Jacopo Prometheus
    Andrea Uriel
    Herbert Rewolf

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

Offer more paid addition on the cash shop, don't contain your revenue within a small stream of products because this game is a micro transactions, you need to come up with more paid features that will generate profit.

I understand that everything is just for aesthetics and and well you don't want a pay to win game, so maybe you could focus on other core elements of the game?

My idea would be to offer some type of magical stone that can be cashed in for access to dungeon's that give you much better drop rates, loot and items.

For instance sell 10 key's to meld in to one Major "Magical key" that opens the gate to a dungeon that can only be access by getting these items.

Then offer a really good raiding dungeon that you could work on or develop on that gives the player the ability to only have access to if you pay for it.

This could still be considered pay to win but this item could be bought by anyone and give that player the ability to enter the V.I.P. Dungeon which offers specific and special items that are rare drops.

The content has to be developed by you the developers but ultimately that wouldn't take much upfront revenue cost, then after this is done market the dungeon as a new way to gather new items with high chance of return on loot.

After this happens the items can be taken and used by players to then ultimately have the ability to lose, although it was paid for the blessing system should be used for them which is good and they will be able to keep those items.

I would suggest having this for Prince player only and can be transferable or gifted to other player's as well as gifted to Prince member's only.

This would give us the ability to gauge our time more and money in LinkRealms and also the ability to get better item and get you guys paid.

If you think about it any general mmorpg has a monthly fee in order to retain revenue, but you guy's aren't wanting to do that right?

So if you offer these special stones or whatever or specials keys on the item store for x amount of credits, we could gauge this play time in to more a monthly thing because well we would pay say $15 usd a month for the ability to try this dungeon x amount of times (10 times?)

So if you think about it you would be charging for more of a monthly thing but ultimately the players don't all have to pay for this, as a player could get this item and open it for there party.

Well In conclusion I think that your micro transaction's are a bit drawn out, for instance I could go 3 to 4 months spending a much money as I want, but then I could easily just all of a sudden be like why am I paying for this? I will just be more careful with my items etc, there is no real reason to have repair items on the shop etc or vanity but they are still there anyway.

I think what I am getting at is you should come up with a system like this and implement some new dungeon's or raids, with big boss battles and hard tough mobs that will challenge the player's more.

I am sure everyone will think this is a ludicrous idea but it makes sense to me, if you are in business trouble you need to come up with something FAST. and the only way you can do that is delivering new content.

A lot of company use the 15 usd recurring because it retain's revenues, you guys need to come up with a faster way of producing credits and I think this could accomplish this if delivered in a very intense marketed way, where people are drawn to this new boss or dungeon that is really tough and no one can complete etc.

• For start selling stats in cash shop dont make this pay to win, people still have the choice to spend time farming and risking stuff with Red player guilds ganking everyone. Thats what its killing the game imo. As you did mention before you should change some pvp dinamics.
    So imo cash shop should contains:

Permanent mounts to speed up the time walking around the game. 10-20 Dollars
    Box containing random stuff like drinks, repair tools, volcanic weapons, shared artifacts, etc.
    1 item to random swtich the stats on jewelry, weapons or items like gloves of might.
    Speedups yeah sounds good.
    Also the new system to spend argents its bad, i had 1mill in my bank like 40 days ago, now is gone because blessing, claim stakes, drinks etc. So should change it or make one what need credits.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

oh well, hard point this evening for me...

Ok i try put something, maybe i will be more profitable of ideas tomorrow, but i start now:

About what i don't wanna see on cash shop are repair kits, because they influence the game deeply, just thinking all credit trades are done by that items....

What require to be on cash shop are surely the claims, that are longer and more suitable now that are creditless (the bundle)
    appeal items cannot surely help so much, but they can give some tips that are never so bad lol

i think recurring fees will ruin the game, and normally that kind of feature involve great games with a really huge player base, and this is not the case for sure. When player base start to drop out, they become free to play (even EVE online now is going free for this reason)

The idea is around the game name "linkrealms", thinking about this the solution could be improving the REALMS, with additive features, clearly in cash shop, like secret passages, gate that link other realms (something like the existing ones, but more structured), GUARDS, personal and exclusive vendors, the possibility to create a little town into your realm with real vendor and working craft station, to be shorter: feature that have to be paid in cash shop that grant a silver revenue at player and some benefit on movement, craft, and so on, nothing that is pay to win, but "pay to pleasure".

A reorganisation of the game-website, because to be honest, the existing one is terrible and absolutely not attractive, i have seen text game with better website that this one, and a real and performed wiki with more icon and less text, and on this website put banners, link to adv for improve player base, international game ladders etc (this could give some more income i think)

about cash shop, other items could be stones of skills (a stone that give immediatly 100 on a skill), obviously not for all skills, just that ones that require mostly time.

The idea of exclusive areas is terrible imho, but the creation of a new pack of titles that give new privileges could be funny (over the prince, duke, baron etc), a title could grant a +5% chance to get artifact for example (extendible to the party), another title could grant more discount by npc (essences at 1 silver instead 2), and so on

Once again some key features like up voting more than like 2 times a day would be nice too, but on a more serious note I believe what this game is lacking is what @DarkMiraxus pointed out.

And also a more extended map, you could always market this game a huge intense free to play world that has a huge map but you guy's don't. I know your running like pentium 4's over there but I mean come on get in to the 21st century the internet can deliver a large map to a large amount of player's just market your game differently and see what happen's it is free!?

Also the ability to up vote my own post that would be a killer descision in this business as well.

I think you guys need to put in an item editor where we can make our own armor etc etc. Of course this would require you guys to make the violet mod swapers to work for same slot items only or add one in the cash shop at a higher coast. I've tried for years to get herb to make a special suit for me with real money. Also bring back fort demise for both servers. I'm sure a safe PvP area would be greatly appreciated. Just add a small twist to it were instead of just money prizes people can offer other misc items that can be won

• mmmm wisdom is called to the scene at last, monetization is always the hardest part of all, companies with 20 millon dolar budgets have fail

i know my experience on the last 20 years as gamer wil help but its not cleary if it will benefit myself ;D, my wife alway said me that i talk to much of what i know not reciving anything , so lets disobey her again :-D

a) website info and specially WIKI need to be finished with 100% acurate info, this includes all the dungeon and captures of the ingame loot, some videos of the diferent raids can be done olso, showing NOT onmly OP doing als SOLO, we need a loot of content publised aiming to "Bring your friends with you"
    b) all game content need to be reachable, as for today several dungeons that were open month ago are closed, fix them before adding new ones
    c) a complete tutorial quest line need to be added, most of the people lives game when they end the quest line, i found lots of them lost on the wild because they "dont know what to do" the quest line need to cover all the dungeons
    d) achivements on Steam to brag about, lots of them

all this is needed to improve the retention of the players, now lets go to the HARD part, the money
    charging. is easy and hard at the same time,
    what we need to add is the use of credits variable amounts, and olso we need to put credits as a tradable object on game so that the ones with credits can sell them to the free ones (as for today the exchange need to be done on person)
    credits olso need to drop as drops on bosses (1 or 2) to encourage free population

a) put a training hall, the hall lets you train your char on the chosen skill for a fee, this hall can be paid with ingame money but the speed could be 2x , 4x with the use of credits,, this will end the need of MACROING and will provide the user with the feel that his not OFFLINE, his training, lots of big money players want to play not to farm they skills
    b) provide a lot of consumables for low credits prices ill trow some examples of what the whales will love to have
    c) limit the the amount a free player can get in a day, lets say 5 (this will mean 5 bosses killed) ,this credits are not tradable

1. exilir of protection, for 30 minutes the player is invulnerable to other players atacks the player cant atack other players olso. this item wil provide protection against PKs, whales dont like the Pks, Pks will hate this i know ;D
    2. Godly map, a map that can be marked on any place of the world, limit to 5 uses
    3. wand of resurection, a wand with 5 charges that let the player resurrect other players and give them 15 minutes of invulnerability against other players, they cant atack othe players olso
    4. exilir of the phoenix, the user that drinks this exilir will autoresurrect the next time it dies,(2 hrs of protection, 15 minutes of invulnerability)
    5. wand of 2x loot 3x loot this wand increases the % of the drop chance of the targeted boss (5 charges)
    6. ambrosia, consumable that heals 100% of HP, cant be used by criminal or red players
    7. mounts lots of mounst (1.5,1.8x. 2x speed, ), permanent and breedable (add taming on a future upgrade)
    8. designed houses, already designed realms (AK premade)
    9. more lockables and storage for the houses. or add this to the current item that increases your bank size
    10. pets, lots of pets even if you cant breed them at the beguining (more features to add)
    11. gold rain, when used ingame money starts to spawn on a entire realm (10 to 30 each for a total of 30k gold) for 5 minutes, with a world wide message of the event, whales like to show off ;D
    12. clothes for pets and mounts
    13. bags lots of bags or backpacks that increase weight limit by type of item, by example mining bag, al the minerals on that bag weights 1/2 or 1/3 (we need more gathering profesions)
    14. robes as another quip space, this can be the used to balance pvp olso, since is cloth and can be tailored and provide magic defenses, but olso gives space to sell beautiful designs
    15. sexi underwear for bouth male and females,

hope i dont need to remind that modifications to the loot system and the crafs need to be made, i already touched that on other posts., plz let us paint the metal armors, the diversity of cloth and leather armors is lost on metal., olso add the option to enchance metal armors

well there is my first 50 cents. hope its helpful for the devs, and my wife dont kill me.

i know already the reds will try to ;D

PD, once all this modifications are on place, the 2nd phase of plan need to be aplyed; D

I think all of these are valid points and should be offered on the cash store, I do agree @jymnils great report of new idea for extra points for revenue.

I also do like how he say's - here is my "50 cents" vs my "20 cents"

1. Tart Potion Extraction Kit
    2. Realm transfer from PVP, to PVE(so I can mock people by telling them to transfer:D )
    3. Global kill/death announcements
    4. Removal of "distinguishable" stats on character sheet. PlayerID, boss score, kills, deaths, creep score
    5. The ability to reskin existing editor objects, or shields when they're introduced. AKA how Haven and Hearth makes 95% of their monies
      alt text

Edit:

1. Flag of ownership goes for like $120 on ebay. I feel a lot Linkrealm's current players would enjoy the opportunity to humiliate enemies :p
      alt text

• How about some pre-made realms. Not just the design, have it come with doors, gates, switches, telepads, spawners, relays, torches, all already in place and ready to go.

You get a lot of people asking about realms, and it's really difficult to explain.

• FOUNDER: BARON

@Prometheus your chance was releass in steam,
    but that happen :( :
    http://forums.linkrealms.com/topic/1017/new-player-appreciation-thread
    when i back from work i will write more about items/credits shop :)
    One good solution i Saw on server where was most pvp then pve but new player had chance to improve himself (also get good items) and thay build ingame-market :)

• @Holya said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

The ability to reskin existing editor objects, or shields when they're introduced. AKA how Haven and Hearth makes 95% of their monies

true seller, here his description

"Some equipment and objects in game allow you to display your own, personally customized and uploaded imagery on them. Sketchbook Pages allow you to create Masterpiece Sketches, thus saving you the trouble of having to gather materials for your creations, and allowing you to create arbitrarily complex patterns!

Beware: As Sketchbook Pages can be transferred to other players ingame, they can also be lost or stolen ingame. This is intended behavior, and they are not reimbursed, retreived, or restored, in the event that they are lost."

tks for the "cricket" SS, cleary some people dont know the diference between pay to win and pay to be protected ;D

• Thanks everyone for your feedback. Let's try to stay on the topic of Item Store addition ideas, and let's not wander off talking about content additions to the game in general - that's not the point that is being discussed here - although that's very fine being discussed elsewhere!

On a side note, I had to delete several posts and add 1 infraction point to @trippyk and @Holya. Stop spamming now.

Also, @Clavicus and @PingPongLR, if you don't agree with the ideas of other players and consider them "pay to win", please do post your opinion in here in a civilized way. This discussion has been opened for this reason too.

I'll reply to all of you below.

@trippyk said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

My idea would be to offer some type of magical stone that can be cashed in for access to dungeon's that give you much better drop rates, loot and items.

This idea would certainly bring in some revenues, but would also alienate a large portion of the players who are not willing to spend for that. Particularly on the PvP server, where it would provide a huge advantage and destroy the meaning of the PvP server itself. Same goes for selling artifacts directly as suggested by @DarkMiraxus, which is strictly against our principles of not selling power in the Item Store.

@DarkMiraxus said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

Also the new system to spend argents its bad, i had 1mill in my bank like 40 days ago, now is gone because blessing, claim stakes, drinks etc. So should change it or make one what need credits.

I understand that blessing high-level items is expensive, but regarding claim stakes and drinks:

1. You can get you claim stakes from the Item Store already.
    2. How comes you are spending so much in drinks? You can produce them yourself in your realm, or buy them from other players for non-so-high prices, I assume.

That being said, we could add a premium account status that increases the amount of argents obtained and the chance to drop artifacts when killing a monsters. This wouldn't really imbalance the game as it would require actually playing the game and a premium character on the PvP server could still be killed and looted.

@Meziljin said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

What require to be on cash shop are surely the claims, that are longer and more suitable now that are creditless (the bundle)

Do you mean removing the free 1-Week Claim Stake from the banker NPC?

@Meziljin said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

The idea is around the game name "linkrealms", thinking about this the solution could be improving the REALMS, with additive features, clearly in cash shop, like secret passages, gate that link other realms (something like the existing ones, but more structured), GUARDS, personal and exclusive vendors, the possibility to create a little town into your realm with real vendor and working craft station

All good ideas here, thank you. You can already purchase vendors for your realm from the Banker NPC and get a share of everything purchased there, but the number is very limited as of today, and all other features don't exist an they would make a great addition!

about cash shop, other items could be stones of skills (a stone that give immediatly 100 on a skill), obviously not for all skills, just that ones that require mostly time.

We are against giving out points directly. However, a stone to transfer your skills between characters is definitely doable, and potions to boost your skill gain rates too. All things that speed up progression and provide utility while still requiring you to actually play the game.

@Holya said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

Tart Potion Extraction Kit
    Global kill/death announcements
    The ability to reskin existing editor objects, or shields when they're introduced. AKA how Haven and Hearth makes 95% of their monies

These 3 ideas are interesting and doable. Reskinning items would certainly be a great addition, as also suggested by @Aries.

@Roundwaters said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

How about some pre-made realms. Not just the design, have it come with doors, gates, switches, telepads, spawners, relays, torches, all already in place and ready to go.
    You get a lot of people asking about realms, and it's really difficult to explain.

This is also a very good idea. Very hard to implement given how the system works currently, but definitely a possibility.

@jymnils said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

Godly map, a map that can be marked on any place of the world, limit to 5 uses
    wand of resurection, a wand with 5 charges that let the player resurrect other players
    wand of 2x loot 3x loot this wand increases the % of the drop chance of the targeted boss (5 charges)
    designed houses, already designed realms (AK premade)
    more lockables and storage for the houses. or add this to the current item that increases your bank size
    pets, lots of pets even if you cant breed them at the beguining (more features to add)
    clothes for pets and mounts
    bags lots of bags or backpacks that increase weight limit by type of item, by example mining bag, al the minerals on that bag weights 1/2 or 1/3 (we need more gathering profesions)

These are all things that could work in the game. The others suggested we feel would be quite problematic for the PvP server. Being protected from attacks in a PvP server would allow harassing and taking advantage of the activity of other players (e.g. ninja looting).

• Rewolf's brother had some sort of realm event that was very close to completion. I forget the details, but it triggered some sort of invasion in your realm with a boss. Perhaps that could be dusted off and monetized.

• @Prometheus said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

taking advantage of the activity of other players (e.g. ninja looting).

take a look at the loot redesign that i already sugestet on other post, this wil encourage group raids and will save the loot of ninjas

• Perhaps some fully leveled and trained roosters. Premade healers with the right scratches and weapons. Some eth wall casting birds for PvE. By the time you level and train them, their lifespan is 1/3 over.

Even roosters with visual traits you can only get in the cash shop. For instance, the deathbeak elemental traits would make good cash shop items. As far as I know, the code for that is pretty much done.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

@Prometheus Claim stack purchasable by silvers must remain on banker, because player need a way to get a realm even without pay in real money, even is this way is so expensive actually that i prefer cash shop to stay more sure i don't lose spot :)

Vendor actually are really a waste, and the silver we gain are ridiculous (9%), cosidering that if the owner pay into the proper vendor, even that 9% is not considered....

You shoul LINK these REALMS, creating interactive mini-worlds, where i can create a lumberjack station where woodcutter can work their goods (npc in towns should disappear or become available only for really low level for noobs), Or a tailor-shop where people can trade their goods at better prices... i think i'm clearer now

• @Prometheus Well also spending in esscenes its expensive, you need to buy 500 of each that is 4000 argents to go a pvp fight for sword mage or martial arts mage. They should be blessed or should be added to character instead of having them on bag.

And Yeah its good the idea of V.I.P. Account/character to have higher % chance for artifacts and argents.

• FOUNDER: BARON

@jymnils said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

exilir of protection, for 30 minutes the player is invulnerable to other players atacks the player cant atack other players olso. this item wil provide protection against PKs, whales dont like the Pks, Pks will hate this i know

1. Good idea:
      For example 1-week protection (5$), 2-weeks protection (10$) [pay to be safe]
    • Cannot be atacked by other players, but if you attack other player you will lose protection (loss for short time or perma)
    • For Pk - you can KS mobs :p or bosses,
    • PK cannot use that. (suggestion)
      Reason:
    • Problem with vulcan (and other dungeons) is that: the old players (most pk) domination there, no chance and place for anyone new.
    1. In Game lottery (ticket for lottery) with prizes (from chance for: arts, potions, mets for craft, credit items or mets for arts) 1$ per ticket :p [note: hazard is forbidden in many countries, for discuse]

2. Guild dungeon with small chance with drop shared arts, and respown time (~1d)

edit:

1. Other suggestion - ston (or kit) for revalue items (props) [note: not for arts]

Players will spend small amount cash if will be possibility to play (even on PvP server)
    Game have potential but playable is poor bcs many players will quick after been lootet. :p

It look for new players:
    exp / farm -> loot -> start again -> exp /farm -> loot -> resign

btw:
    @Prometheus said in The Future of Linkrealms - An Open Discussion on Monetization:

Progression speedups;

Propably it is on game:p 1h exp = 100% skill, holya offert that information for credits :p

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.