Myhal's Magical Sorcery Suggestions

• Hello, I am a sorcerer player ( one of the few with 100sorc/enlightment) and think we all know how underpowered sorcery is besides utility. I write to suggest possible changes to some problems I find when playing.

1)Mana Problems- I find it that when hunting monsters I have to use 25 mana to hit them for around 27 dmg. That is almost a 1 mana to 1 dmg ratio. Right now I sit and watch my spirit summons do most of my damage because I am always out of mana or it takes forever to refill it.
    Solution: Lower the cost of spells or raise the damage of spells. even maybe add mana potions?

2)Spell Interruptions- Unless I am walled off, and even then magic monsters spam the living crap out of me with spells, I find it extremely hard to even finish a cast, specially in harder dungeons where sorcery creatures dwell.
    Solution: Make not all damage interrupt spells, or make spell defiance level affect the chance of your spells getting interrupted by magical damage.

3)Water Essences/Water Spell- At the moment water I have over 10,000 water essences in my bank because they simply aren't used.
    Solution: Add a level 80 water spell. I can then use the water essences for something other than teleporting and walling and It gives a greater variety of elemental damage to my arsenal. For example freezing a monster raises its fire defenses by 50% making my staple damage spell (fire orb) useless, if a water spell is made I could use it to do more damage.

4)Damage to Squishy ratio- I am constantly being outdamaged by warriors or archers. I am forced to wear cloth armor to be able to cast spells and have to expose myself to having awful defenses yet I am being outdamaged by both marksmen and warriors. They have much more vitality due to armor/health/life regen. It seems unfair that they are able to tank and do damage.
    Solution: Raise the damage of spells to be able to compete with other classes

5)Ethereal Wall!- Ethereal wall and crystal wall seems to have a life of its own to me. Sometimes I wall straight ahead of me and it gives me a wall parallel to my character rather than perpendicular. This even cost me a pvp death.
    Solution: Show the position of the wall as its being aimed to avoid confusion.

1. Doge- 2 op better nerf

EDIT: 7) Monster AI- Pretty sure the monsters run away from all sorts of mage AOE damage, their AI is literally anti mage.
    Solution: Raise AOE damage or make the monsters not run away instantly

I hope my complains/suggestions are taken into consideration thank you.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

@Myhal said:

5)Ethereal Wall!- Ethereal wall and crystal wall seems to have a life of its own to me. Sometimes I wall straight ahead of me and it gives me a wall parallel to my character rather than perpendicular. This even cost me a pvp death.

hahaha yeah man i laughed at that one..... those two spells are pretty unpredictable and frusterating sometimes.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, im currently at 90 sorc and 90 enlight. and put both those on hold just to get spiritualism higher cause well, yeah its just way more efficient.

while spiritualism is an awesome feature it feels almost way to prioritized... i don't feel i could PvP nor PvE without it. This isnt game breaking yet but Ice mage summons in PvP has already gotten a little old.

In my experience this far, the most OP thing hands down in the game are Xbows. I stand absolutley 0 chance against them, I mean its like being a mage without cast times or penalties really and they hit like a truck.

I was gonna make a post about some balance i think could use some address but think i will wait till after Prom pust up the roadmap this week.

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

Ok just add mana Regen and coast reduce. Also your passive skill meditation helps alot I suggest maxing it. Also your summons will give you mana some with a death effect ex: the frost mage some with that will help Regen it ex: the energy wizard. Just saying

I have 100 meditation and it still way too slow. Honestly sorcery isn't good. I wish i didn't waste so much time leveling it and did a spiritualism/warrior instead. I actually am working on training a warrior and after it's done I doubt, i will ever really use my sorcery char again. It's just too weak.

• @Aries LMAO of course i have meditation maxed. It's still painfully slow compared to the costs of my spells.

• @Myhal @Rolex as aries says theres other ways to retrieve your mana... for example the wizard summon like @Aries sayd... theres no bug in mage for real... i can say that cus i was thinking about changing to mage... rolex was almost able to kill me as a mage and i probably think he would had killed me if his character was ready... u guys conplain a lot about mage but the real problem is that u probably dunno how to play it with max abilities... and course marksman kills mages easy... long range and assassins have been aways the weak spot for mages... in all games from all generations... as mages are the meele weak spot and we are the marksman weak spot... thats the natural course... i dont think that any of those classes need to be nerfed or upgraded... u guys are great players just need to max a lil bit your skills in 1x1 fights... for example try casting faster casting spells with lower mana cost during a 1x1 battle.... miss playing with u guys already :D we´ll meet again when the new beta starts peace bros

• @Doge you were thinking to changing to mage because you have never played it to see how crap it is. You've just seen the good sides of it (oh i can solo a dungeon in 2 hours LMAO) while you can solo the hardest dungeon in the game. and 1v1 you so you just wear 100% fire resist? yeah right LOL.

• lol before me pep didnt even thought it was possible to solo that as a meele just as a mage... + iv seen confusion play as a mage and he can possibly beat the crap out of me... mages are just good as meele.. and u can also reach insane amount of resists as a mage.. even easyer cus mage cloth have higher elemental resistances

Doge if you ever build a sorcery char you will see what we are talking about and be right here complaining too. You spend an insane amount of argents on staff charges and time leveling to end up being the weakest build on the game. Sorcery spells are too weak. anyone whos played one agrees and if they don't agree they have never played a sorcery char it's that simple really

BTW doge the ONLY reason I almost killed you was because i have 55 spiritualism and I summoned a bunch of the arrow shooting guys. As a pure mage i would stand no chance at all.

• @Rolex and i just killed u cus of spiritualism... what are u conplaining about bros... just cross your godam sorcery with your godam spirit and kill someone... its not hard... u have 2 frosts... 1 from the mage 1 from spell + poison + debuf + wall + blink + fire + fking insane spells.... godamit just build up a decent gear... stop thinking all gear is hp hp hp... mages need max mana and full mana regen thats it... dont conplain about sorcerer cus the problem is not that i never played sorcerer thats why i dunno.. the problem is that u guys didnt play sorcerer enough to learn all the weak spots of it and figure out how to decrease it.... dont worry in the next beta ill go sorcerer to show u guys how good a sorcerer can be

• Can't wait until Doge tries to be a sorcerer, then he can see how crap they are. I don't understand why people are trying so hard to stop sorcery from being strong. AND its literally only people that have never tried sorcery. Every sorcerer player in the server agrees that they are trash.
    @Doge said:

@Rolex and i just killed u cus of spiritualism... what are u conplaining about bros... just cross your godam sorcery with your godam spirit and kill someone... its not hard... u have 2 frosts... 1 from the mage 1 from spell + poison + debuf + wall + blink + fire + fking insane spells.... godamit

You do realize casting all those spells takes over 10 seconds, Just because you got owned by one mage ONE time doesn't mean they are even remotely strong. You got double frozen and you had no spell defiance at the time so what? You are just afraid warriors are going to be useless. Instead of bashing on sorcery all the time why not work together to suggest a better melee experience? Melee attacks could for example always slow people to help you catch up to them. Why don't we suggest better ways to improve the existing gameplay rather than just denying change at all?

• man ima play mage next beta... i wanna see if its acctualy that bad... cus all the mages videos iv seen mages are fking op... and ur conplaining about 1x1 fight... mages are aways bad in 1x1 fights... even in ultima online, wow, etc, mages sux in 1x1 agains meele or ranger thats theyr weak spot... u conplain about mages but ur the only class that can solo everithing without taking dmg and with a crap gear... iv see the video of the mage that soloed tart... he did it in half of the time that took me to do it. + i had ll my gear broke and he didnt even take dmg + i need an insane gear to solo it... he just needed something to wear... but ill play as a mage i want to see why u guys conplain that much

There is also mele weps that will make a player's arms go numb and make them slower than normal. I don't know if it works for mages or not but I'll test it out tonight

• FOUNDER: DUKE

@Aries said:

There is also mele weps that will make a player's arms go numb and make them slower than normal. I don't know if it works for mages or not but I'll test it out tonight

debilitating strike, ive used it.

@Doge No we dont have 2 frosts, the one from sorcery is BROKEN. You can't freeze unless you have an 'ehanced frost staff' which is the way it was before they implemented the patch that was supposedly suppose to give us a frost spell. And everyone in the game shouldn't be forced to pick up spiritualism to be able to pvp or be relevant in the game. Ok yea try sorcery until then you really don't have a stone to step on.

@Myhal Interruptions are still a big problem for me. In my opinion staff fighting should count for my being hit chance (in melee aka taking melee damage) however after being hit there should be a secondary check for being interrupted. IE if I am hit (in melee) its a 100% interrupt chance if im casting right now. In my world after being successfully hit there would be some sort of "roll or check" that determines if that successful hit interrupts me and in my opinion that secondary check should be off of my sorcery so the higher my sorcery the lower my chance of being interrupted is. This would keep staff fighting important and give high sorcery an actual advantage besides casting a higher level spell. In regards to being interrupted by spells this is also a big issue and I do not believe I should be interrupted 100% of the time if I get hit by a spell or a tic. I however do not like the idea of spell defiance having a component that allows us to not be interrupted by spells. It would be one more skill REQUIRED for a sorcerer to have and we have more skills required to use by far than a fighter. I think being interrupted by spells should also be determined based off of my sorcery. So I would still take damage 100% of the time if someone successfully casts a spell HOWEVER that spell once hitting me would then be checked against my sorcery. The higher sorcery I have the lower chance of being interrupted.

In regards to the damage from spells vs a warrior/archer build the problem is resists. With 80% resists (we are obviously talking about more of an end game character) we will be extremely reduced in the damage we can perform. With the mana constraints we have I think it will be EXTREMELY hard to kill any warrior. Its hard to kill a warrior as is with only ok to low resists as a mage unless we get a freeze off and mana dump and thats not even considering they can just run away (when not frozen) when I cast a spell. Obviously having better CSI MCR and SDI will help and of course if you have high spiritualism the cripple spirit will help. Part of the resists issue is that a warrior can cast nether oath with basically no penalty. Getting rid of a warriors damage increase basically does nothing. Either reduce the amount of resists it gives to maybe 10% or add another penalty or swap out damage increase removal for a different penalty.

I like the idea of ethereal wall/crystal wall having a phantom before you cast it to let a person see how it will be placed however I have not ran into the issue with it having a mind of its own.

Monster AI namely fire lizards that I can think of off the top of my head should be changed imo. Casting a meteor storm and having them all scatter away from it is annoying.

@Rolex said:

I have 100 meditation and it still way too slow. Honestly sorcery isn't good. I wish i didn't waste so much time leveling it and did a spiritualism/warrior instead. I actually am working on training a warrior and after it's done I doubt, i will ever really use my sorcery char again. It's just too weak.

I have the same opinion, i hit 96 sorc in the end with 100 enlight and it was not worth it. The spells are all underwhelming, and the lack of CC is debilitating. You do far less damage than warrior classes and you have fairly long cast times for most spells. I even tried poisoning in the end to see if I could get a bit more damage; the result was the same.

With no real CC and underwhelming damage Sorcery is not a viable damage type at this point. I think those of us that played UO can probably chalk it up to remembering how strong the mage was in UO. In Linkrealms the warrior is the dominant PvP build.

• @Miner said:

I even tried poisoning in the end to see if I could get a bit more damage; the result was the >same.

You do realise, that for poison spell damage you need to level your poisoning skill do you? Otherwise it will just do nothing to your opponent.

• in my opinion 2 skills that mages need to be great at pvp is one debuf that decreases the target elemental resistances and 1 invisible spell used for traps... thats it if u decrease the target resistances u automatcaly increase your dmg power

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.