~ |Incomplete, Ignore for now | ~Holya's Guide to Picking a Build, Leveling, Build Optimization and Gearing(Updated for Patch 9.1)

• Overview
    Hello, I'm Holya, and this is my guide on character optimization. It is intended primarily for intermediate players, but it should also be understandable for new players. I would also point out that "fun" isn't really taken into account much, and all of my recommendations will be based on what's most efficient.

If you're unclear on anything, need advice, or simply think the guide could be improved somehow leave a comment! I'd be happy to help anybody, and I'd be grateful for suggestions that would improve, or expand the guide.

Table of Contents

1. Overview / Author's Notes
    2. How to multi-client, and make basic macros
    3. Author's Archetype Recommendations
    4. Invocation
    5. Conjuration
    6. Severing
    7. Mauling
    8. Marksmanship
    9. Martial Art(lol)
    10. Hybrid Severer
    11. Spirit Mage
    12. Lockpicking
    13. Tailoring
    14. Cooking
    15. Prospecting
    16. Mining/Blacksmithing

• How to multi-client, set up a proxy, and make basic macros
    Reserved

• Efficiant leveling

I'll be splitting this into [insert] parts.

1. Starting Skills
    2. Setting up a Target Dummy
    3. Primary Skills, consisting of marksmanship, severing, mauling, staff fighting, and martial arts.
    4. Magical schools, consisting of sorcery, invocation, conjuration and alteration.
    5. Survival skills, consisting of spell defiance, endurance and consistution.
    6. Spiritualism
    7. Poisoning
      I will be ignoring battle tactics, concentration, meditation and invigoration as they should level almost passively.

Starting Skills
    One mistake most people fall into is starting their mages with sorcery. If you intend to level either alteration, conjuration or invocation starting your character with 40 sorcery is never correct, as while leveling magic schools you'll typically want to fail as many casts as possible.

These are the starting skills I would pick for every single character. Working skills are typically a lot more difficult to level, and overall this will save you the most time. Lockpicking being especially important.

Setting up a Target Dummy
    This is the most effective way to train primary skills, and requires:

1. A "friend", and definitely not an alt because that would be against the rules
    2. About 20,000 argents
    3. A realm in the lawless area, if you intend to train a fresh character

First, buy 3-5 chickens from X the Cockreal breeder. These will cost between 1000-2000 each, buying the cheaper ones is advisable if you're low on argents.

Next buy 5 loyalty chicken scratch, and some combination of 5 Cockreal Batles orbs, or Cockreal Fighting Crystals from [Chefguy].

[insert picture here]
    Summon your cockreals one at a time, feeding them the loyalty chicken scratch by placing one on the ground at a time. Equip them with a fighting crystal or battle orbs, then dismiss and repeat until all of your chickens are equipped.

[insert picture here]
    Have your two characters start killing each other, each with healer chickens out to keep them alive. You can AFK whack each other all the way to 100 staff fighting/severing/mauling/martial arts/marksmanship.

Setting up a Ghost Dummy

1. A "friend", and definitely not an alt because that would be against the rules
    2. A realm in the lawless area, if you intend to train a fresh character
      This method is less effective than a regular target dummy, as it won't be able to hit you back, meaning no endurance/consistution experience. You can get around this by using gnome houses, or flytraps in an unfriendly realm, but this is typically less effective and more work than simply using a target dummy.

[insert picture here]
    To use a target ghost, simply kill a character in the realm you intend to train in with the character you want to train, making sure it was the last character/obsject you interacted with. Use any spell, then the last target keybind when the dummy is in range. Your character should begin hitting the ghost, and gaining experience. Note the reason you wouldn't interact with another character/object is so the dummy remains your last target.

Primary Weapons
    I would strongly advise using a training dummy, as explained above to level your primary weapon skill. That said, I will list some afkable spots below.

• The only thing that affect your experience/hour is how many times you hit. Maxing your agility, and using the weapons with the fastest attack speed is advisable
    • The practice staff, simple sword, and bone club you receive in the tutorial have infinite durability. I would recommend using these weapons, if finding weapons with faster attack speed for an extra 10% xp/hour isn't appealing.
    • There are no crossbows with infinite durability, leaving nimble/double crossbows as the best option. You can farm these reliably, and at a low level from the bandit camp North West of Riverbank.

Viable AFKing spots

Magical Schools
    With magic, it’s important that you level skills in the right order. In general, you want to do invocation, then conjuration, then alteration, and sorcery last. Obviously skipping any schools you don’t intend to level. The reason for this is that you want to fail as many spells as possible while levelling to retain mana. To amass practice staffs, I would recommend making 5-6 additional accounts, and simply dropping them somewhere to be picked up on your main. I would recommend using this email service for throwaway accounts.

To level invocation from 0-100, lock your sorcery to 0 and then spam burning touch with your practice staff all the way to 100. Click here for an example macro for an account with burning touch bound to “Q”

To level conjuration from 0-100, lock your sorcery to 10 and then spam fire field with your practice staff all the way to 100. Note that fire field is a targetable spell, so your macro will need to either click the ground or use last target after every cast. Here is an example macro where fire field is bound to 1, and last target is bound to 2

To level alteration from 0-100 lock your sorcery to 20, and then blink with your practice staff all the way to 100. Note that is a targetable spell, so your macro will need to either click the ground or use last target after every cast. [here is an example macro where blink is bound to 1, and last target is bound to 2.)[http://puu.sh/sYUG0/beee369a0b.png]

Note that your character will continue hitting with its primary weapon while using sorcery spells, unlike spiritualism. It if effective to level your staff fighting, and magical schools simultaneously.

*Survival Skills
    To level endurance -
    To level constitution -
    To level spell defiance -

Spiritualism
    The most efficient way to level spiritualism is simply to cast harvest souls all the way from 0-100. If you're intent on leveling your character as fast as possible it should be noted you can cast harvest souls between your primary weapon hits.

Note that the animation of harvest souls stops your weapon hit, but the timer for your hit continues counting down. To use this most effectively, I’d recommend your macro cast harvest souls ~100-300MS slower than your attacks. Here is the attack speed formula.

~An alternate way to figure out your attack speed is to use the /mydps command. In this example my swing speed is 0.48, or 1/0.48 = one attack every 2.083 seconds. Here is an example macro for an account that has “H” set to harvest souls, and an attack speed of .48..

Poisoning

• Invocation

1. Strengths and Weaknesses
    2. Cookie Cutter Build / Variants
    3. Most Efficient Leveling
    4. Staff Fighting Vs. Severing Magic Weapons
    5. Use in PVP
    6. Use in PVE

Strengths and Weaknesses

• +By far the best class for PVE in most cases
    • +Very easy to gear compared to most classes
    • +Escapes ganks in open areas very well
    • +Absolutely shits on poorly geared players
    • -/+Single target damage varies between INSANE and GARBAGE depending on enemy
    • -Cannot handle being tunneled in PVP
    • -Does mediocre damage in PVP
    • -Very little synergy with other classes in PVP

Basic Build, and Variants

1. Cookie Cutter
      0_1482356618964_upload-39418953-06e4-4899-8166-601706400971

2. Earthquake/Wizard Spirit Mage
      0_1482357377082_upload-948eed13-a814-407f-b369-51c2b2b85ae7
      A wizard Spirit Mage's goals are purely to earthquake monsters, exit combat, and then regenerate mana at a much faster tate than Cookie Cutter Invocation for more earthquakes. While this is by far the most effective build for PVE, clearing most dungeons before others could kill the first few waves, it is exceptionally vulnerable and will not be able to escape even the most trivial PVP encounters. I would only recommend this build on the PVE server.

3. Spell Defiance Invoker
      0_1482357682547_upload-4d0a4c22-6eaf-4d68-ae0b-06c11f32d603
      This build gives up endurance for spell defiance. In terms of PVP this build is useless for fighting anything but casters, it is however, a counter to other casters, but there are better counters to casters. In terms of PVE this build is much better at fighting enemies use spells to interrupt(Imps in Tartaros, Griffons, Lizzgoths). I would only recommend this build on the PVE server.

Efficient Leveling

With magic, it’s important that you level skills in the right order. In general, you want to do invocation, then conjuration, then alteration, and sorcery last. The reason for this is that you want to fail as many spells as possible while levelling to retain mana/essences*. You many also want to keep your combined* sorcery + staff fighting below [unsure of value]*, so you can continue using practice staffs for free essences.

A step by step to levelling your cookie cutter invocation mage efficiently:

1. Grab 10-15 practice staffs, or a buttload of air/fire essences
    2. Lock your sorcery to 0
    3. Start whacking training dummy with your staff for staff fighting XP, making sure not to out level practice staffs if you intend to use them all the way from 0-700 total skills
    4. Have your target dummy whacking you, while chickens are healing you in order to get endurance/constitution experience. Make sure your chickens aren’t overheating you, as constitution is only levelled by natural regeneration.
    5. Cast Burning Touch from 0-100 invocation. Click here for an example macro for an account with burning touch bound to “Q”
    6. Level your sorcery to 20 by spamming minor heal, careful not to go over
    7. Level your alteration 0-100 by spamming blink + last target. Click here for an example macro for an account with blink bound to “Q”, and last target bound to “w”

For staff fighting
    While levelling keep your agility as high as possible, as it makes you attack faster, thereby giving you more staff fighting experience/hour. If your target dummy is dying too quickly, consider lowering your strength below the nearest physical damage modifier (24, 49, 74, 99, 124, 149). It should also be noted that practice staffs have no durability, meaning they never break. If you level beyond the point at which you can cast spells with a staff, do not unequip your staff as you will not be able to equip new ones[may have changed with patches, edit later]]*, leaving you unable to exploit this to level staff fighting without switching staffs every few minutes.

Staff Fighting versus Severing Magic Weapons
    Lightning staff is currently best in slot for invocation PVP. It being so easily obtainable makes staff fighting generally the better option for invocation mages. The downside to staff fighting, however, is that it’s much harder to fight staffs with slayer modifiers for PVE, unless you’re actively farming them.

It may be worth levelling severing over staff fighting if you find a random magic weapon sword with very, very good stats, but generally speaking staff fighting is hands down superior. You will always be better off changing back eventually.

Use in PVP
    ~Coming when I feel like correcting my enemy’s mistakes~

Use in PVE
    In AoE situations spam Earthquake.
    In single target situations spam either fireball, frost bolt, shock phase, or disintegrate, depending on your target’s resists. Keep stoneskin up. It’s literally that simple.[edit to be more detailed in future]

Earl-mid game gearing
    Coming soon!

Mid-late game gearing for
    Coming soon!

*= is an estimate, will research and correct later

• Conjuration

3. Staff fighting Vs. Severing
    4. Use in PVP
    5. Use in PVE

Strengths and Weaknesses

• +Very strong synergy with most classes in PVP
    • +Hard to counter gear in PVP
    • +Decent at killing under geared players, but less so than invocation
    • +Easy to gear compared to most classes
    • +WALLS! Basically Anivia, except no skill shots :D
    • -Cannot handle being tunneled in PVP
    • -Hard countered by severer, which will eventually be the most popular build
    • -Poor damage in most PVE situations
    • -/+Getting reworked soon

Cookie Cutter Builds / Variants
    0_1482989590263_upload-837e25e9-eb7a-463b-87e2-8fce7b5cf18f

Staff Fighting Vs. Severing
    Staff fighting is currently superior to severing in every way, other than it being easier to get slayer swords than staffs. The Developers have announced there will later be some synergy with severing/conjuration, but for the moment staffs being superior is not even a question.

Use in PVP
    Ur mom
    Use in PVE
    My mom

• Severing

2. Cookie Cutter build / Variants
    3. Efficient leveling
    4. Use in PVE
    5. Use in PVP

Strengths and Weaknesses

• +Currently the strongest PVP class in the game
    • +Highest single target DPS in PVP versus most targets
    • +Super hard counters all mage builds
    • +Is favored versus every other class in 1v1
    • +Has more build variety than any other archatype
    • +Can be either change from being a tank to being a DPS on a whim
    • -Has the second best AoE damage behind Invocation, but is still comparitively bad
    • +Invocation mage's AoE DPS is 100% getting a nerf tho
    • -Probably going to be nerfed soon
    • -Requires a lot of specific gear to work
    • -Requires good ping to be effective

Cookie Cutter build / Variants

0_1482372932330_upload-3dc5dafb-3b02-4c44-a56d-4d70361daa32.

0_1482373532498_upload-6bb1bcf8-39d5-4a79-9b16-5fc79792a534
    This build will typically have slightly better DPS than Cookie Cutter, but at the cost of being more vunerable to running out of PSI. Running out of PSI means less DPS overall versus most targets, and more importantly less CC. This build will usually be better in 1v1s versus archers/warriors, but typically worse versus mages and in team fights.

Efficient leveling
    All that really matters when leveling a severer is the timing on your harvest souls macro, and the speed of your hits. Max your agility as soon as possible, and use weapons with the highest attack speed you can find. Note the practice sword you're given in the tutorial has infinite durability, and a reasonably high attack speed.

To figure out how long you should be waiting between harvest soul casts, simply use the /mydps command, and add ~100 MS to whatever your swing speed is. Keep in mind the /mydps command doesn't factor in your armor impairement, but you shouldn't be wearing armor impairing gear while leveling anyway, as you want to hit as fast as possible.
    alt text
    In this example my swing speed is 0.48, or 1/0.48 = one attack every 2.083 seconds. With this attack speed I would cast harvest souls every ~2183 MS or so. Here is an exmaple macro for an account that has "H" set to harvest souls, and an attack speed of 0.48

Use in PVP
    I don't wanna tell people how to fuck me up tbh

Use in PVE
    The Moon Axe is basically a necessity for PVE. Use slayer weapons[Will edit to be more detailed later]

• Mauling

2. Cookie Cutter build / Variants
    3. Efficient leveling
    4. Use in PVE
    5. Use in PVP

Strengths and Weaknesses

• +Will have very good synergy in most PVP teams
    • +Easy to play to a medium level, hard to master
    • +Very tanky
    • +Easy to level
    • -Mediocre DPS in PVE
    • -Has no hope of killing a PVP character in heavy armor with resists
    • -Requires good ping to be played well
    • -Specific weapons required to be effective

Cookie Cutter Build / Variants

0_1482365145151_upload-5a8dffea-f20f-46ea-a3f6-b1a2f09477db
    You only care about Int for PSI, so lower it for more AGI if you get any +PSI, or +Int on your gear. You could also consider lowering your Int for more Agi in PVE situations for more swing speed, but generally speaking, you'll want the PSI for PVP, and at last enough to keep summons up for DPS in PVE.

0_1482365357106_upload-e3b1a3de-d8e7-458f-a48c-fbd9a8cd126f
    The only thing you can really change on a mauler is poisoning. The extra DPS from poison is good in 1v1s, and maulers are definitely a good 1v1 choice versus certain classes / armor types. That said, your PVP team will likely have a dedicated posioner, and having two people applying poison is a waste as it doesn't stack.

0_1482372551070_upload-e45aa555-264e-4735-8311-56bad5c92c92
    This build is for assholes. Its sole intention is to be tanky, and reduce the enemy team's damage. This variety of mauler is slightly weaker versus melee, and does less CC, as they can't spam frost mage as easily. They are left with adequate, but not great resists versus mages, and are near invunerable to melee, unless fully debuffed. If you're using this build it is essentially required you use the carved hammer, or mage crusher. You will not be tanky enough versus casters unless you hit exactly 125 sepll defiance, and even then it's iffy.

efficient leveling
    All that really matters when leveling a mauler is the timing on your harvest souls macro, and the speed of your hits. Max your agility as soon as possible, and use weapons with the highest attack speed you can find. Note there is a Bone Club with no durability, meaning like with a practice staff you can train 0-100 without switching weapons using it, but it is no longer obtainable.

To figure out how long you should be waiting between harvest soul casts, simply use the /mydps command, and add ~100 MS to whatever your swing speed is. Keep in mind the /mydps command doesn't factor in your armor impairement, but you shouldn't be wearing armor impairing gear while leveling anyway, as you want to hit as fast as possible.
    alt text
    In this example my swing speed is 0.48, or 1/0.48 = one attack every 2.083 seconds. With this attack speed I would cast harvest souls every ~2183 MS or so. Here is an exmaple macro for an account that has "H" set to harvest souls, and an attack speed of 0.48

1. Use in PVP
      Coming when I feel like correcting my enemy's mistakes!

2. Use in PVE
      Your first AoE weapon should be Crystal Hammer, and the best AoE hammer is the Gnome Knocker*. Hit stuff, use appropriate summons. Use slayer weapons wherever possible.[edit to be more detailed later]

• Marksmanship

3. Use in PVP
    4. Use in PVE

Strengths and Weaknesses

• +Relatively easy to play
    • +The best single target damage versus monsters with no ranged attacks
    • +Can AFK sections of many dungeons
    • +Slayer crossbows are common
    • +Can hit stuff from far away, sometimes
    • -Doesn't add much utility to a PVP team
    • -Always at a disadvantage in 1v1s
    • -Poor AoE damage in PVE

0_1482991155549_upload-9ae5f594-756b-48d5-a261-c067ba70f851

Use in PVP
    Ur mom
    Use in PVE
    My mom

• Martial Arts

3. Use in PVP
    4. Use in PVE

Strengths and Weaknesses

• +Punching people in the nuts
    • +Soft counters mages
    • +Can't be disarmed
    • +Can easily be turned into an invocation mage
    • -Doesn't add much utility to a PVP team
    • -Always at a disadvantage in 1v1s
    • -Poor AoE damage in PVE
    • -Poor single target damage in PVE
    • -Easy to counter-gear
    • -Don't play this class unless you're memeing

Use in PVP
    Ur mom
    Use in PVE
    My mom

• Stealth/Ganking Builds
    Reserved

• Dedicated Lockpicking Builds
    Reserved

• Leveling Lockpicking
    Reserved

• How to level Tailoring
    Reserved

• How to level Cooking
    Reserved

• How to level Prospecting

• how to level Mining/Blacksmithing
    Reserved

• Reserved

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@Holya said in Holya's Guide to Picking a Class, Leveling, Build Optimization and Gearing(Updated for Patch 9.1):

@Prometheus I wrote a guide, where's my reward?

Write more details on how to do it maybe or just make a video for each one heh

• very good draft, continue improving ;D, try NOT to sugest using exploits

• @jymnils don't tell me how to live my life

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.