I'm not trolling, but please explain the bad reviews



  • I was really excited about the upcomming winter beta and do intend on playing but since it wasn't come out yet, I just browsed around to check out more info and reviews on the game. On one article about the game, I saw many negative comments from people who claimed to play the game and one of them was pretty uglisome:

    http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/04/linkrealms-announces-winter-beta-steam-early-access-in-march/

    "Had a terrible experience in this game's beta. Every other person was cheating/botting/exploiting, and when I mentioned it on their forums I was downright attacked by the entire community, not because they disagreed it was happening, but because they all wanted it to work that way. Then I talked to a game moderator and he said that is the way the devs themselves want the game to be.

    I was utterly awestruck that a game development team can actively "encourage" cheating in their game. Needless to say, I promptly deleted the game in disgust.

    Consider this fair warning to those interested in this."

    What happened with this guy? Does anyone remember him? Is he an Albion Online shill?


  • FOUNDER: PRINCE

    That just sounds absurd. I think he got the wrong idea of what ppl meant by what was told and as I know it there is no cheating in LR, but I could be wrong?



  • @Elyas_III said:

    I was really excited about the upcomming winter beta and do intend on playing but since it wasn't come out yet, I just browsed around to check out more info and reviews on the game. On one article about the game, I saw many negative comments from people who claimed to play the game and one of them was pretty uglisome:

    http://massivelyop.com/2016/01/04/linkrealms-announces-winter-beta-steam-early-access-in-march/

    "Had a terrible experience in this game's beta. Every other person was cheating/botting/exploiting, and when I mentioned it on their forums I was downright attacked by the entire community, not because they disagreed it was happening, but because they all wanted it to work that way. Then I talked to a game moderator and he said that is the way the devs themselves want the game to be.

    I was utterly awestruck that a game development team can actively "encourage" cheating in their game. Needless to say, I promptly deleted the game in disgust.

    Consider this fair warning to those interested in this."

    What happened with this guy? Does anyone remember him? Is he an Albion Online shill?

    I also happened to stumble upon that comment. My best guess is that it's this guy:

    http://forums.linkrealms.com/topic/126/goodbyes-and-my-reason-for-deciding-to-move-on

    Some players without a background in skill-based MMOs can't cope with the idea of a game where macroing is allowed. It was explained to him that on Linkrealms, you can use scripts to raise your skills, like auto-cast spells and meditate while AFK, and stuff like that. You are not allowed to use scripts that interact with NPCs and mobs however - such as gathering items or looting corpses - which would destroy the in-game economy.

    So, that's the "botting" part of it. The "cheating" and "exploting" part is hilarious, since cheating (=hacking the client) and exploiting (using a bug you know is a bug to get a profit out of it) is punished with a permanent ban here as in any other MMO.



  • Just for info, the macros u r talking about r client macros or di them come feom external programs like UOLoop was for UO? What i have learnt from my UO exporiences is that a macro should allow a player to do an action in the better way.. I'm goibg to explain: In UO u were able to use bandages to heal urself. To do that u had yo double click on bandeges located into the backback and than click on urself. The macro allowed u to do that pressing just one key on keyboard, without stopping movement or clicking anthing. But care, there was no macros that allowed u do do the same action for hours and being afk in the meanwhile. Those kind of macros came with Injection, an external Program that a lor of UO shards introduce and that has totally ruined the game introducing Botting. So, if a player decides to spend 5 hours into the same dng macroing a silver or other sources, i totally agree with that, but ge must be effectively playng. Doibg that while being afk should be forbidden. That's my opinion



  • @GomS89 said:

    Just for info, the macros u r talking about r client macros or di them come feom external programs like UOLoop was for UO? What i have learnt from my UO exporiences is that a macro should allow a player to do an action in the better way.. I'm goibg to explain: In UO u were able to use bandages to heal urself. To do that u had yo double click on bandeges located into the backback and than click on urself. The macro allowed u to do that pressing just one key on keyboard, without stopping movement or clicking anthing. But care, there was no macros that allowed u do do the same action for hours and being afk in the meanwhile. Those kind of macros came with Injection, an external Program that a lor of UO shards introduce and that has totally ruined the game introducing Botting. So, if a player decides to spend 5 hours into the same dng macroing a silver or other sources, i totally agree with that, but ge must be effectively playng. Doibg that while being afk should be forbidden. That's my opinion

    I was referring to external programs, they are in general allowed, but not all actions are permitted - as I wrote above, looting is not. You can also find it in our FAQ:

    http://www.linkrealms.com/faq/

    (and anyway, there are no external programs for LR as sophisticated as those for UO used to be, such as EasyUO or Razor or Injection)



  • Thank u for quick answering ^^


  • FOUNDER: DUKE

    Think the guy is clueless and doesn't understand how these games work. Saddest part is people who read a review like that and take it to heart.

    Honestly i am so sick of UO comparisons.



  • U r right, this game has nothing to deal with UO. ASD


  • FOUNDER: PRINCE

    MOP always had bad reviewers.

    This game aint perfect, but it's fun.

    I like it a lot more than Albion.



  • @GomS89 It's better than UO though right? Hope? More pvp-ish than UO?



  • @Elyas_III said:

    @GomS89 It's better than UO though right? Hope? More pvp-ish than UO?

    Just seeing a backpack it's enough for me :P



  • @zycor said:

    I like it a lot more than Albion.

    Only masochists like Albion Online...



  • I think this is really cool but they need funding, a bigger team or some community developers to help fill in details/modeling etc. The client is dx8/9 based and could be optimized for dx11/12 along with high res models. This could be an amazing game. I want to see this succeed!

    side note: almost all beta/alpha negative reviews for the dozens of games I have tested are from possibly a group of gamers that are not an IT/bug finding/tech writing mind set and more of: "oh gosh this is what you made, this is crap... although i cant build anything myself i am the best critic because I play 5 star games"... they do not realize what an alpha or beta is, what "is being tested". So there are many gamers that do not do well at contributing during an alpha/beta BUT developers need to review constructive criticisms in general... be humble and set goals... share the goals with the community.

    now the teacher degree in me says: "students learn best if there is an outline of expectations". A tip to all developers out there...
    a. list bug/changes etc
    b. list celebrations/social media links
    c. set friendly goals for community/celebration messages
    d. SET AGENDA: "in this patch we implemented skill xyz, please help list clear bugs ... etc"... help us know what we are testing.

    Some less "test" mindset "is this what the final game is like" may be swayed to the mindset "we are testing this xyz".

    This game would benefit as a reboot as an alpha, the foundation is great!! The "beta tests are usually stress tests, fine tuning, last minute features". This game from a "alpha test viewpoint": has placeholder 3d textures, items, storage bins to fill with lore and folklore, skills to implement, battle systems to hammer out etc... these goals fall under the alpha realm. I havn't watched this game close enough to accurately know the speed of development (Some consider SOTA Slow, I consider modern alpha testing "more public" and therefore open to public opinion. live/die/survive in era of social media/forums etc.

    Alpha used to stretch years ... betas 1-2 years or months. This game may have a few years yet... and would benefit from time. It can be great.

    I'm excited for SOTA, and shard online. I found out about Linkrealms Friday and donated Saturday. I invested in all three since UO so far has been irreplaceable.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.