AFK Macroing is Lame

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

I think this needs to be addressed. Rather than go out and do stuff people sit in their realms and afk macro on spawners.

I think there should be more incentives for actively grinding your character, in the form of exp multipliers for killing monsters in certain areas.

For example: I'm at 60 sorcery, if I go out and try to actively cast on mobs it's really freaking slow. It's faster to sit somewhere and cast on yourself, or cast buff/utility spells for gains.

TLDR: For all you new folks, its faster afk leveling in your realm than actively playing the game. -

• 100% agree. It is really lame and people should try to improve by themselves not with a kind of a "bot"...

Some solutions:

Reduce the gains from spawner mobs by half.

Increase the gains in certain zones, like the PVP areas, Bandit Camp, Hades, Black Wood Forest, ETC.

Make it so you show up on the map after x kills as a red dot, so players know where people are afk macroing. Like after killing the same monster 20 times, you show up as a red dot.

• i agree , AFK macroing should not exist.
    A more interactive way of playing should be incentivated

So here's how I leveled my last character.

Stat cap:

Few hours beating on an alt, equip a used up dispel wand or tp wand with 300% crush resist. Making it so the defender takes 0 damage.

Lower your agi by max, equip target dummy with gear. Use a really really low dps weapon that attacks slow as fk. Have the dummy use rejuv, and make sure they have a wand, and max HP.

Sit there afk for 2 days until you are 100 BT and 100 Severing, or Mauling.

*Note, I didn't even use a spawner. Just a secondary laptop, and or VM. **

Once completed, go to a mob spawn in the wild, like bandits, darklings etc. Sit there afk with full dura weapon and spam soul harvest every 20s. This is so you can farm souls.

Once you have 9k+ souls, afk macro your Spiritualism until you are 60-70. Then farm more afk farm more souls, until you're level 80. And even more souls afk, until 100. -

So now, you're stat capped 100 Mauling 100 BT 100 Spirit 100 REJUV 100 CONC. Now all is left is a day of afk macroing stealth/hiding. And you are 700/700 capped.

So let's recap. 3-5 days of afk macroing you're fully capped. You barealy had to interact with other players and rarely had to leave your house.

• i think afk gathering souls is bannable

• All fair points, we'll make it so that skill gains within player realms are strongly reduced, while they are increased within dungeons.

@Prometheus Making a change like this will only hurt new players. It will give the advantage to those who are suggesting this change. They want new players to struggle getting their feet on the ground so they can rape them in the only areas where they can possibly gain skill. All while the new player also can't have as many blessing on their gear as they should (if this also changes). I'm seeing a trend with the forums here and what I saw with the Darkfall Forums. Please don't make the same mistake the developers of Darkfall fell victim to. The suggestions from players are not always in the interest of the game. Darkfall died because they went with the suggestions of the hardcore fans. Just because they are hardcore players, does not mean they have the best interest of the game in mind. It also doesn't mean they understand what is right for the game!

Linkrealms is about freedom and gaining skill the way you see fit. Restricting skill gain inside realms will hurt that freedom. Players macroing or using their realms to gain skill does not hurt the game in any way. It actually helps the game and encourages players to purchase realms, whether it be with real money or gold from the game.

• FOUNDER: DUKE

Im with Amnesiac on this. the game world is too small. This is just giving vets even a bigger advantage over new players.

Especially since this idea is coming from the guy prowls around with his boyfriend to kill players who havent even had 1 hour in the game and get giddy like schoolgirls or something. Went to bandits yesterday and saw them camping and kind of just Lol'd cause i knew they would be there..... why arent you guys doing higher end content?

I can agree on that AFK Macroing in ppls realm is kinda lame. between 50-80% of ppl are doing this = 50-80% of ppl playing Linkrealms isn't really playing.. Where is ppl?? In their realms afk.. Where is the fun in that?? = Nowhere .. What should we do about that

This:

@Prometheus said:

All fair points, we'll make it so that skill gains within player realms are strongly reduced, while they are increased within dungeons.

@Lichester said:
    (Where is the fun in that?? )

Why does it impact you how other people choose to play? Why restrict other players from doing what they think is fun. I actually find it fun using my realm to macro. It reminds me of the UO days.

If they want to add a buff to skill gains in dungeons, fine. But don't restrict other player's play style, just because you don't like it.

I was there on forumfall, I know what you mean.

Can't deny this game is ez mode bro.

AFK mode. More people not afking in their houses, means more people to PK.

@zycor said:

Or they just quit altogether.
    False Logic Dawg.

@zycor

@zycor said:

Exactly my point. If you're killing them in dungeons, they don't have a way to advance and compete. If they are macroing in their realms, they get to a point to come out and PVP.

My suggestion is to Buff dungeon skill gains and leave realms as they are now. IF realms are reduced it will kill this game fast.

Do not reduce skill gains in realms. Let people skill up how they want to because once they are done in their realm they will be out in the world and maybe you will get an actual fight instead of steamrolling a random new player scrub. The entire appeal to the game is the sandbox aspect of playing how you want and owning a realm. If you start taking away reasons to own realms.. which has already happened with the flow ai ie mobs leashing so you cant take advantage of your realm in the mount vesuvius area... then people will care less and less about owning a realm. And anyone whos played a game with a player housing aspect knows that alone can keep someone playing/paying to keep their housing stuff for a really long time.

I would agree with what Zycor said if it wasn't for skill caps and stat caps. At some point we're all gonna max out and any additional changes are just tweaks. We wanna PK cause this is open season PvP but the best PKing comes from people who are capable of giving ya a good fight.

I don't AFK Macro myself but I don't care if someone else does.

That said, Amnesiac is correct that more XP should be done in Dungeons. You don't need to nerf other ways to do it, just make dungeon xp that much better. Increase loot for the dungeon version of mobs. I think that's a bigger issue. I can sit here all day at my spawners at my place and stock up on cash without putting much effort into it (don't even have to macro). However, if the rewards for the dungeon versions are much better (and maybe make them a slight bit tougher) then I'd be much happier to do that cause it would be more worth the effort. Gankers who get people will also get better loot off of them so there's more incentive to gank at dungeons too. Not only that but players allowed to grind can't say they're newbies anymore, so they have no grounds to cry "newbie killer" either.

Everyone wins.

Also, nerfing player realm grinding will NOT solve the beef with AFK macro grinding in the first place. The only thing that will change is making the AFK Macro users just AFK Macro their guys even longer to compensate. Make the AFK Macro people do AFK Macroing for even longer and that's even LESS time they will spend playing the game.

So this proposed nerf will have the opposite of the intended effect. To me it's all or none. Ya either allow AFK Macros or ya don't. I see no problem with it and say just leave well enough alone. If enough people don't like it and the devs don't like it, just disable it completely.

Meh, I guess giving a x2 skill gains in dungeon will be an incentive.

Nerfing spawners would be a bad thing, but decreasing gains from other players would be a smart thing to do.

As of right now, for someone smart like myself, there's no reason not to afk macro sorc in my house.

AFK macroing has little to no risk, is very efficient and can be done.. while sleeping, fapping, at work, etc.

I know macroing is at the soul of UO and this game, I'd just rather have it change for the better.

One of the reasons darkfall 1.0 sucked towards the end was because everyone afk macroed @ the bindstone, and bought gold from player auctions. My whole alliance did this, we even recruited the gold seller clan into our alliance. The reason macroing was so appealing was because the grind was difficult, and it's the same in LR. The last 10 points takes hours and hours of macroing. So maybe halving that grind for someone being active is a great way to stop people from macroing those last grueling 10 points.

Halving the grind for actively grinding would actually be really good. That would give me a lot more incentive personally. The exponential growth rate makes AFK Macroing the better option for the highest levels. Why sit around for days on end when you can program something to do it for you?

@Malacandra said:

Halving the grind for actively grinding would actually be really good. That would give me a lot more incentive personally. The exponential growth rate makes AFK Macroing the better option for the highest levels. Why sit around for days on end when you can program something to do it for you?

You still have to grind for gear in this game. Trust me.

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.