Linkrealms Roadmap to Steam Early Access

• Hi everyone,

As the launch of Linkrealms on Steam Early Access approaches, work on several large-scale changes for the game has already started here at Mythyn Interactive. The aim of these changes is to provide a more polished and balanced game experience for all of you, and to make the game ready to sustain the large influx of new players that we are expecting from Steam.

Along a few bug fixes, with a special focus on those target at getting rid of server stability issues, the five most significant news are:

1 - A significant extension of the Winter Beta past the initially planned 3 weeks.
    2 - A large scale overhaul of the main UI of the game.
    3 - The new Reputation System for players committing criminal acts.
    4 - A new procedure that will allow the server to be saved several times a day without interrupting the user experience, instead of the current only save at server restart.
    5 - The introduction of pets, starting from our former test pets, roosters, with balancing improvements.

If you are looking for a more detailed explanation on the announcements above, please read on, and do not hesitate to give us your feedback!

Winter Beta Extended

The Winter Beta will be extended for an undetermined time past the initially planned 3 weeks. We have taken this decision:

1. To work on server stability to avoid the possibility of a crash happening when Linkrealms is on Steam.
    2. To give all of you a chance to test the new “core” features we are releasing over time and to provide us with your invaluable feedback.
    3. To allow us to weed out bugs and make all the necessary adjustments before the game hits Steam.

Of course, marketing and PR efforts will be taken to keep the active players base large enough to have a well populated world.

New Game UI

Our new User Interface for Linkrealms is already in its design phase. The bulk of the overhaul doesn’t involve single menus (e.g. the inventory), but rather the “main” UI of the game – that is, the elements and buttons you always see on the screen that allow you to access other menus. The redesign is being carried out along these lines:

1. Getting rid of all the heavy, space-consuming elements such as the side columns and the brick-like bar at the bottom of the screen.
    2. Getting rid of the black space on the sides. We might introduce an option to re-activate it for the most “nostalgic” players if there is enough demand for it.
    3. Re-organizing the position of all the elements and change what menus can be accessed directly from the main UI, paying special attention to a few which are crucial for Linkrealms but have been hard to find so far (such as the Hotkeys menu).

Reputation System

The Reputation System that is being designed for Linkrealms is quite different from the ones seen in other hardcore MMOs. While in other games the aim is to generically penalize player killing in any form, the aim of the Criminal System of Linkrealms is to penalize only griefing, defined as purposeless murdering of other players (particularly newcomers).

Reputation & Criminal Status

The base of the Reputation System, as the name suggests, is Reputation, which determines the criminal status of a character.

There are 5 different criminal statuses for a character, represented by 5 different colors. Facing death has different consequences for a character according to its status, as explained below.

1. Green. A character with perfect (or almost-perfect) reputation. Faces no particular penalty for death.
    2. Grey. A Green character who has just performed a criminal action, such as looting a corpse for which he had no loot rights, or attacking another Green player. Faces no particular penalty for death.
    3. Yellow. A character with lower reputation. On death, the character loses 2 bless charges on its blessed equipment items instead of 1.
    4. Orange. A character with bad reputation. On death, the character loses 3 bless charges on its blessed equipment items instead of 1.
    5. Red. A character with terrible reputation. On death, the character loses 5 bless charges on its blessed equipment items instead of 1.
      A character only loses reputation when he initiates combat against another Green character not in his same guild/party, and kills the victim. The amount of reputation lost depends on the location in which the action took place, as explained below.

Risk Zones

The world of Syndesia will be split in 4 different risk zones, namely:

1. Safe realms, which include towns and the starting area for new players. In these realms, no PvP is possible, and items aren’t dropped on death – as it is today.
    2. Order realms, located around towns (e.g. Oak Forest and Bandit Encampment). In these realms, murdering a green player causes the assassin to incur a heavy reputation loss, and new characters enjoy a partial degree of protection from player attacks.
    3. Neutral realms, located further away from towns (e.g. Darkling Forest and Hades). In these realms, murdering a green player causes the assassin to incur a light reputation loss.
    4. Chaotic realms, the furthest from away from towns and those where the highest prizes can be found (e.g. Mount Viscous and Tartaros). In these realms, murder and any other criminal action is devoid of any consequence.

Purification

Even for the lowest of the scoundrels there is a chance for redemption.

The Arch Bishop of Riverbank will allow players to embark on long and perilous missions for the newly founded Holy Order. Such quests will be divided in 3 tiers, and if completed successfully will reward the adventurer with one out of three different Books of Faith. Use of the appropriate book will make the reader’s criminal status raise from the level right above his current one (e.g. from orange to yellow).

Everyone will be able to engage in such quests, complete them, and trade Books of Faith with other players. Whether you will consider selling one to your best enemy will be all up to you.

Server Save Procedure

Recent days have seen Linkrealms facing serious server stability issues, which we know have caused great frustration to you – and believe us, to the Mythyn Interactive staff as well. They have been unexpected, and they have triggered a dangerous domino effect that has spread instability to other components of the server.

The new procedure, which will perform player and world data saves at runtime, will make it so that even if another server crash takes place, nothing (or at least very little) of your progress will be lost, instead of 24 hours.

Pet System

The unique pet system of Linkrealms is coming back! Our former test pet, Roosters, will be reintroduced first.

The pet system or Linkrealms includes realistic pet training, deep and complex genetics-based breeding, and sophisticated AI guiding your creatures.

Instead of indulging in many more words again, we’ll let the pet system presentation video speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN5gwECYy3M

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

All of this and mostly the Server Save Procedure is great news!

And I can't wait for the pets to come back into the game.

• Thank you so much for your hard work! Looking foward to the new features. Any plans on balancing skills yet?

@Prometheus said:

Order realms, located around towns (e.g. Oak Forest and Bandit Encampment). In these realms, murdering a green player causes the assassin to incur a heavy reputation loss, and new characters enjoy a partial degree of protection from player attacks.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hell naw

• @Prometheus said:

1 - A significant extension of the Winter Beta past the initially planned 3 weeks.

GREAT!

3 - The new Reputation System for players committing criminal acts.

YESSSS!!!

4 - A new procedure that will allow the server to be saved several times a day without interrupting the user experience, instead of the current only save at server restart.

Finally! :P

Everyone will be able to engage in such quests, complete them, and trade Books of Faith with other players. Whether you will consider selling one to your best enemy will be all up to you.

Honestly, I would make it bound to account. At least people with terrible reputation will move their asses to do something to lower their reputation loss instead of just fast buying few books...

@zycor What, you can only kill newbs? lol

• very nice hear good news about the new update :) i hope this game choose good way to be better play :)

• Woah, all the above mentioned is great news! Beta extension and the new reputation system is by far the best news imo! Just when I was talking about a law system, you whip one out from under the rug, well done guys.

• This is awesome! I am excited =)

New Game UI

1. Getting rid of the black space on the sides. We might introduce an option to re-activate it for the most “nostalgic” players if there is enough demand for it.

Please do not get rid of this. I for one love having the space to throw my skill window, backpack, etc etc. in that area. Just make it an option for older players and newer if they prefer it to choose to have the black sides. You already have it designed that way. Why do you have to reintroduce a way to reactivate it? Don't forget a lot of players who try linkrealms are fans of UO. On UO you could size your window so you had black space. Don't let one players review talking about it not being explained correctly change this.

Reputation system

This is probably the most detrimental change to PVP I could possibly think of. You are punishing a player for pvping on an open pvp server???????? This system is not targeting griefers. That system would punish you for repetitively killing said player not killing them once. And frankly depending on the situation they might deserve to be killed more than once. Running your mouth? Dead again.. coming back to a spawn i just killed you at? Dead again take a hint.. Farming somewhere (like the bandit camp) that drops good items? DEAD. You are making it so red players effectively cannot use artifacts or anything that requires a rare bless scroll which then gives others a HUGE advantage in pvp especially those that enjoy playing the game like a carebear (see any member of UFO). It is detrimental to a solo pvper who turns red/yellow/orange especially. They are much more susceptible to getting gang banged by a huge group of players (see UFO guilding 90% of the server and trying to ally the rest).

You made the Bandit Encampment one of the if not the best spawn to obtain certain items and gear a near safe zone for not just new players but ANYONE who doesnt pvp (again see UFO)

You then make it so some of the more frequented dungeons (hades / blackwoods?) incur a penalty.

So basically any place where most players go you get a penalty for pvping on a pvp server?

The chaotic realms (which barely anyone, if anyone, patrols) are the ones where you incur no penalty. The problem is you have to spend 12 years running to all the different spawns. Which makes it equally safe.

Then the only way to "redeem" myself for pvping on a pvp server is to do some self described long mission.

Words really cant describe how misguided this idea is.

Do not implement this on the pvp server. I dont even think it should be implemented on the pve server. However if this system goes anywhere it belongs on the PVE server where the carebears like etna from ufo who runs at the first sight of another player for 12 realms to a safe zone should be.

I'm disappointed that a dev who loves pvp as much as I do would even consider implementing a system like this on a PVP server.

Everything sounds great ^.^
    Reputation system sounds good too
    keep it up team~!

@Clavicus said:

New Game UI

1. Getting rid of the black space on the sides. We might introduce an option to re-activate it for the most “nostalgic” players if there is enough demand for it.

Please do not get rid of this. I for one love having the space to throw my skill window, backpack, etc etc. in that area. Just make it an option for older players and newer if they prefer it to choose to have the black sides. You already have it designed that way. Why do you have to reintroduce a way to reactivate it? Don't forget a lot of players who try linkrealms are fans of UO. On UO you could size your window so you had black space. Don't let one players review talking about it not being explained correctly change this.

Reputation system

This is probably the most detrimental change to PVP I could possibly think of. You are punishing a player for pvping on an open pvp server???????? This system is not targeting griefers. That system would punish you for repetitively killing said player not killing them once. And frankly depending on the situation they might deserve to be killed more than once. Running your mouth? Dead again.. coming back to a spawn i just killed you at? Dead again take a hint.. Farming somewhere (like the bandit camp) that drops good items? DEAD. You are making it so red players effectively cannot use artifacts or anything that requires a rare bless scroll which then gives others a HUGE advantage in pvp especially those that enjoy playing the game like a carebear (see any member of UFO). It is detrimental to a solo pvper who turns red/yellow/orange especially. They are much more susceptible to getting gang banged by a huge group of players (see UFO guilding 90% of the server and trying to ally the rest).

You made the Bandit Encampment one of the if not the best spawn to obtain certain items and gear a near safe zone for not just new players but ANYONE who doesnt pvp (again see UFO)

You then make it so some of the more frequented dungeons (hades / blackwoods?) incur a penalty.

So basically any place where most players go you get a penalty for pvping on a pvp server?

The chaotic realms (which barely anyone, if anyone, patrols) are the ones where you incur no penalty. The problem is you have to spend 12 years running to all the different spawns. Which makes it equally safe.

Then the only way to "redeem" myself for pvping on a pvp server is to do some self described long mission.

Do not implement this on the pvp server. I dont even think it should be implemented on the pve server. However if this system goes anywhere it belongs on the PVE server where the carebears like etna from ufo who runs at the first sight of another player for 12 realms to a safe zone should be.

I'm disappointed that a dev who loves pvp as much as I do would even consider implementing a system like this on a PVP server.

I have to agree to this hole thing why punish a pvp server. It's a hardcore server doesn't mean it should be so harsh to the people that want to pvp. This would make the server vacant

• @Clavicus said:

see UFO guilding 90% of the server and trying to ally the rest.

Hell I hate that part so much... I killed a random guy, then i look at guild chat next day, he got invited to the guild... I killed another random guy, then guess what! He got invited to the guild a bit later - really what the hell is this? :|
    I'm running over a map to search someone to kill and guess what! Wherever I go it's like 90% chance I will see green nick there, and 9% chance i will meet random guy from "ally guild"! OH, COME ON!

However if this system goes anywhere it belongs on the PVE server where the carebears like etna from ufo who runs at the first sight of another player for 12 realms to a safe zone should be.

This made my day.

The Reputation System will make this feel like we're playing on the PVE server. If you want to improve new player experience, give them more places to go instead of only having bandits as their next step. Spread out the areas where they can hunt and advance all over the map! Right now they're limited to bandits where vets can camp and kill them. New players should want to go travel and explore, not be limited to their "safe" area where they won't be attacked because of a reputation system that will protect them. As a new player, I would much rather have flexibility in what I do and the ability to outsmart vets! Protecting them under this system will only penalize vets who want to PVP and is the wrong direction for this server.

• @Clavicus said:

New Game UI

Reputation system

for real... this def should ONLY be on the PVE server.... wtf dev's? really... its like adding trammel to this game.. fuck that

@Amnesiac I agree. An easy start would be making more bandit camps spread out around the server at different ends of the map. For example 3. That way 1 person is going to have a much harder time running around to camp them all and farm newbies.

• @Prometheus

Would be a better Idea to rework that reputation system, too punishing for people who just want to PVP on a hardcore pvp server after all. You make it pretty much impossible to pvp in 90% of the map...

• I honestly don't see why everybody is crying at the reputation system. If anything it's going to help the game maintain it's playerbase. So pking in noob areas will have consequences now but so what? Most of the players worth pking will be in Chaotic realms, and you do not get punished for it.
    I think rather than just spouting out how it affects us veterans you should see that it is very beneficial to new players, plus how it will affect a higher population of players, rather than just 30 people online at a time.
    At the same time, I always loved Tibia's idea of protection zoning pk's. And I think rather than creating a whole system you could just prevent players that have recently attacked players from entering safe zones.
    That is all I have to say.

@Myhal said:

I honestly don't see why everybody is crying at the reputation system. If anything it's going to help the game maintain it's playerbase. So pking in noob areas will have consequences now but so what? Most of the players worth pking will be in Chaotic realms, and you do not get punished for it.
    I think rather than just spouting out how it affects us veterans you should see that it is very beneficial to new players, plus how it will affect a higher population of players, rather than just 30 people online at a time.
    At the same time, I always loved Tibia's idea of protection zoning pk's. And I think rather than creating a whole system you could just prevent players that have recently attacked players from entering safe zones.
    That is all I have to say.

Ok then why not have them have red names if the new player hasn't gotten there graduation medal. This will show new players not to trust this person and the only way to cleanse it would have to be a cash shop item. This is the only way I can see this working on a pvp server. Other than that it's pure trash can idea

@Myhal Crying? Do you pvp? No i didnt think so. If anything its going to destroy a group of players that are supposed to be playing on / attracted to a pvp server. You might not have heard of this type of player. Maybe you have and you've just run instantly away from them. They are called pks. Stop theoretically talking about pvp and experience it before you post an absurd comment like yours.

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.