Beta Update - Patch 1.9.1 (02-25-16)

• Hi everyone,

this patch contains mostly balancing work, once more empowering the Sorcery skill in PvP, while also making core elements of the game such as Chests and Artifacts more rewarding to open / obtain.

While we are aware this patch might look slim to you, given the time that has passed since the last one, please consider this is only a minor patch and that most of development time is being dedicated to the features included in the Roadmap to Steam and to client / server security.

ADDITIONS

1 - The Vine Dungeon from the old beta server has been rebuilt and added to Ravenfeast. New players are now able to make its fruits mature and obtain 4-8 STR points for each fruit consumed, up to 80 STR.

CHANGES

1 - Spell Defiance now provides a minimum cap to Fire, Ice and Shock resistances instead of adding points to the total. Each 2.5 levels add 1 point to the minimum cap, which means 40 points at level 100 Spell Defiance.

2 - All magical resistances are now capped at 80% like physical ones, instead of 100%.

3 - Only direct damage can now interrupt the casting of Sorcery spells. Direct damage includes hits from weapons, spells, spirits and creatures, but not DOT (Damage Over Time) effects such as Bleed and Poison.

4 - The formula that computes the Hit Chance of a player now adjusts itself according to how many misses and hits in a row the attacker has performed, in other to avoid long streaks of misses and hits. The average Hit Chance is unaltered.

5 - The loot of all chests has been rebalanced. They are now significantly more rewarding to open, particularly when it comes to the drop of Braces and Necklaces.

6 - The average number and quantity of items sold by Vendor NPCs has been increased.

7 - The drop of all artifacts has been heavily rebalanced. This change includes both what artifacts belong to what groups, their relative drop rates within each group, and what groups are assigned to what monsters. Overall, artifacts are now much harder to obtain, particularly the once very common ones such as the Baphomet Blade, or the ones meant to be extremely rare such as the Blood Talon - which actually always had the same drop rate as the other artifacts in the same group. To know more please have a look at this new wiki page, which is being updated over time.

8 - Nether Oath now not only sets to 0% the Damage Increase and Spell Damage Increase modifiers, but also Swing Speed Increase and Cast Speed Increase.

9 - Banker Vendors now sell a new 1-week Claim Stake instead of 1-month Claim Stakes. This new Claim Stake is unique, as it can be used to lengthen the expiration date of a realm only if such date is shorter than 5 days. This change is one of crucial importance, as it still allows dedicated non-paying users to own a realm, while it also makes it so that if a new players purchases a realm and quits the game soon after, the spot will become free again much sooner. This decision has been taken mostly in the light of the heavy user inflow we are expecting from Steam.

BUG FIXES

1 -Shock Phase now applies the third consecutive hit (double damage and stun) correctly.

• FOUNDER: PRINCE

@Prometheus said:

CHANGES

1 - Spell Defiance now provides a minimum cap to Fire, Ice and Shock resistances instead of adding points to the total. Each 2.5 levels add 1 point to the minimum cap, which means 40 points at level 100 Spell Defiance.

Ok so this does what I originally thought and at 100 would give you a base resist of 40. Why was ethereal removed? This just makes griffon spirits that much better. Mages only if I remember right have one ethereal spell combustion so Im not sure why ethereal was removed unless you are adding a skill (like constitution) that gives ethereal resist along with other benefits.

2 - All magical resistances are now capped at 80% like physical ones, instead of 100%.

Much needed for mages.

3 - Only direct damage can now interrupt the casting of Sorcery spells. Direct damage includes hits from weapons, spells, spirits and creatures, but not DOT (Damage Over Time) effects such as Bleed and Poison.

Great change for mages.

4 - The formula that computes the Hit Chance of a player now adjusts itself according to how many misses and hits in a row the attacker has performed, in other to avoid long streaks of misses and hits. The average Hit Chance is unaltered.

This was much needed.

5 - The loot of all chests has been rebalanced. They are now significantly more rewarding to open, particularly when it comes to the drop of Braces and Necklaces.

Interesting to see how this works out. Id like to add there are no level 70 chests in the greater spider cave. Not sure if this has been addressed in the patch.

6 - The average number and quantity of items sold by Vendor NPCs has been increased.

+1

7 - The drop of all artifacts has been heavily rebalanced. This change includes both what artifacts belong to what groups, their relative drop rates within each group, and what groups are assigned to what monsters. Overall, artifacts are now much harder to obtain, particularly the once very common ones such as the Baphomet Blade, or the ones meant to be extremely rare such as the Blood Talon - which actually always had the same drop rate as the other artifacts in the same group. To know more please have a look at this new wiki page, which is being updated over time.

Not sure about this. Does this mean using the gnome king as an example there is a 9% chance for an artifact to drop and then after that a % chance for a shared item to drop? Is the gnome crown still a 100% chance drop? Are you able to disclose what the old drop chances were?

8 - Nether Oath now not only sets to 0% the Damage Increase and Spell Damage Increase modifiers, but also Swing Speed Increase and Cast Speed Increase.

This makes nether oath for a mage basically unusable. With the cap at magical resists at 80% does nether oath then not benefit someone now who has 80 resist in x resist? ie it wont add to the final resist of that resist.

All in all an interesting patch. A lot of these changes have been much needed.

• @Clavicus said:

@Prometheus said:

CHANGES

Ill have to see how this looks in game. This means you have to have Spell Defiance to get to the 80% cap? IE you start with a cap of 40 and need 100 spell defiance to be able to get to the 80% cap? If so that needs to be changed. You are effectively requiring everyone to carry this skill. Mages are already bogged down with skills they must have they dont need another. Im also worried that with the increased to mage damage this spell defiance change is going to make everyone way more squishy vs a mage.

Well Clavicus, i dont agree with you on this. First of all, mages have to lvl up there staff fighting so they could dodge melee and long ranged players attack, so basically we lose 100% in skill cap to avoid being hit by warriors and rangers, why cant people waste 100% on spell def so they could lower the dmg taken from mages?

• @Azmogod Spell Defiance just gives resistance not chance to avoid spell attacks. That is a big difference, because spells have 100% hit chance if mastered.

• @Prometheus said:

Well, this helps a bit the mages, but we cant still do PVE alone, since 2 mobs hitting us can interrupt almost all the casting, and most of the mobs moves as the same speed as a player does, so you cant run away and try to cast.

9 - Banker Vendors now sell a new 1-week Claim Stake instead of 1-month Claim Stakes. This new Claim Stake is unique, as it can be used to lengthen the expiration date of a realm only if such date is shorter than 5 days. This change is one of crucial importance, as it still allows dedicated non-paying users to own a realm, while it also makes it so that if a new players purchases a realm and quits the game soon after, the spot will become free again much sooner. This decision has been taken mostly in the light of the heavy user inflow we are expecting from Steam.

Good change, this will make more free space for new players to put on there realms.

BUG FIXES

1 -Shock Phase now applies the third consecutive hit (double damage and stun) correctly.

On the third consecutive, they do 4x dmg on mobs and 2x dmg on players?

• @Vetro said:

@Azmogod Spell Defiance just gives resistance not chance to avoid spell attacks. That is a big difference, because spells have 100% hit chance if mastered.

Yes Vetro, it does give us a 100% hit chance, but dont forget that the casting speed of a strong magic takes enough time for you to do 2 attacks (enough to fail our magic) and enough time for you to run if needed. Think about it, a lightning can do like 55 dmg on a 100% spell def player and takes out 40 mana from the caster. Archers can do 60 dmg on a skill, wasting at max 30 stamina per skill. Mages can toss only 3 lightning bolt (125 wis) doing a total of 165 dmg. When they lose all there mana, they cant do much since we dont have mana pot, so we gotta run and wait till the passive meditation can refill at least 35 more mana. The archers with there stamina at 125, can use 4 skills with lesser delay between one skill and another (compared with mages) doing a total of 240 dmg. After there stamina is over, they still can do good dmg on there basic shots from far away. There is more, you can make a set of leather that can give warrios and archers 50% cost reduction on stamina, but mages cant do more then 40% cost reduction on mana. Try this out when server gets on, put on a table at the middle of your house and shoot an arrow from the other side of the table. It will hit the player. Afterwards, try to cast a magic from the other side of the table, it will show you that you cant see your opponent. Now, focus that on pvp when people are walking all around the map where small bushes can stop your spell from attacking someone. And for the last part, rangers have precision shot, which gives him 100% chance on hitting for the first shot, enough for you to fail at least 4 times the mage casting.

• @Clavicus ethereal has always been different from other resistances and has never been influenced by Spell Defiance. It is also extremely rare to get from special materials. The bug of Combustion dealing ethereal damage has been fixed long ago - it deals Fire damage now. In the case of the Gnome King you mentioned, it has a 9% chance to drop a Shared Artifact and 4.5% to drop a Gnome Artifact - but it cannot drop both. If a Shared Artifact is dropped, what it will be depends on the relative weight of artifacts within the Shared Artifacts table.

@Prometheus I just watched a video of mine and it shows me having 16% ethereal resist which would be from spell defiance as I have 0 items that give ethereal resist. The only reason I picked up spell defiance is because of giant zergs of people using 2 griffons each doing 15 damage per because I had 0 ethereal resist. ******I did not have nether oath applied.

Sounds like artifacts are going to be much harder to obtain now.. although again I have no idea what the drop %s were before this patch.

Also it seems as if lizzogoth chests are pretty bad now in comparison to chests in the regular world. Were they not updated because the chests are basically in an instanced area? Or is this an oversight.

@Prometheus the problem with spell defiance dropping ethereal is that minus spiritualism a mage will not be able to take advantage of another players lack of it. But a warrior with spiritualism will. Spiritual Weapon maxes at 45 and gives a warrior a 100% chance on successful hit to deal ethereal damage. If you have low/no ethereal youll probably be hit in the 40 to 60 range. With hit chances being a lot better now ( i personally hit by the 4th swing and normally before that) it means that skill will allow a warrior to do way too much damage even if they have a terrible weapon. Mages dont have that option. You cant use spiritual weapon on a staff.

There are a few ways to fix this.

A. Give ethereal resist back to spell defiance. Maybe make at level 100 the cap to level 30 for all 4 resists. (take 10 away from fire lightning and ice and give it to ethereal)

B. Make spiritual weapon do another proc damage (fire or ice or lightning)

C. Tie ethereal resist to a skill (like constitution for poison) (i like this option far less mages have about 0% skill flexibility atm in skill choice)

Griffon spirits hurt with very low ethereal. 2 griffons will be doing 15 damage or so per however fast they attack. Multiply that over a fight and its hard to overcome esp in an outnumbered scenario.

What partially would help with the griffon issue is all spiritualism pets should die when their master dies. Ive literally lost fights where I kill 2 of 4 people but their griffon or whatever other spiritualism pet they have is still up and bashing me when their master is dead. Please change this.

Lastly this artifact nerf seems way too harsh. Again I dont know what the drop rate was before this but i bet it was 25% or higher. Don't nerf the drop rate so drastically because people are crying people are wearing artifacts. If they would go farm them they would have them too. They have only themselves to blame.

• @Prometheus said:

Spell Defiance should reduce the duration of negative effects like its wrote in skill window but i don't see any difference between 0 and 80 spell def when I get frozen, also funny thing is that I've got 95.5 staff fighting(with Voodoo Staff) and Lava Lizard disturb me like shit :)

Looks like your connection to Linkrealms Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.